☣ Chapter 1 ☣

It's so funny how many things never really teach you what you really want to know. Take this survival guide I'm going through for example. It has everything from what can and can't be eaten as far as plant life goes, to instructions on how to create a boot-leg security system. It doesn't give instructions on how to deal with losing your parents after the world has decided to go to hell, or how to take care of an eight year old when you're still just a kid yourself.

When the world wasn't buried under debris, there were days where I honestly thought that the end of the world wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't have to go to school, worry about going to college, or worry about growing up. I could just...be.

Too bad some form of chance in the universe thought it'd be better if I found out for myself.

The end wasn't what I thought it would be. I don't think anyone could have been prepared for what the end would be. Godspeed.

Flipping through the guide, I'd finally found what I was looking for: whether or not these black berries could be added on to the supply of food Keira and I needed for our trip up to Richmond, Virginia.

Exactly a week ago from this day, the day everything just fell apart, I was on the phone with my aunt Cathryn, explaining what happened, or better yet, what sense I could make out of what was happening. It was then that we made plans to meet up half way, and figure out things from there.

"Looks like these are a no go..." I sighed to myself, reading over the bright bold letters that made up the warning 'contains cyanide', under the picture of the berries.

Looking over at Keira, who was laying down on a patch of barren ground, drawing stick figures with a broken twig, I scratched my head, finding myself stressing about how I was going to keep that little girl alive.

Inhaling the fall air, I looked up to the baby blue sky, the tall autumn trees acting as its frame in my field of vision. By the looks of how bright the sun was shinning, it looked like we were in about midday, meaning Keira and I would have to get up and go very soon.

"Hey blossom!" I called out to her.

Her curly red locks bounced as she turned her head my way. Looking up to the sky, she looked back down at me and sighed, understanding the intention behind me calling her.

My heart twinged at the sight of her little face, looking down at her doodles in the dirt with this frustration that I myself knew very well.

Sighing once more, she placed her dainty hand in the dirt and erased the drawing. She never liked for me to see them. That never stopped me from asking her what she had drawn. Some days she'd tell me, other days she wouldn't. Today was an "other" kind of day.

Dusting off her clothes, she stomped her way towards me and laced her fingers between mine, daring not to make even the slightest bit of eye contact with me while she stood by my side.

"...You ready to go?" I asked her.

She tugged on my hand, still keeping her gaze in front of her.

"Okay."

With the little lady's approval, we began to move, the compass I was holding guiding us through this autumn maze.

Sometimes I wish I could just tell her that everything was going to be okay, but I didn't want to lie to her, not again.

I didn't want to tell her something I myself didn't even believe at this point.

I could see the way each new day was weighing down on her, and I didn't want to be that one thing that pushed her over the edge.