☣ Chapter 7 ☣

It wasn't until today that I really understood how cruel this world was. Before the fall, most of us carried on what was considered to be an ordinary life by society's standards. We went to school, we went to work, and we tried to live each day as smoothly as possible.

We tried to make everything seem normal on the surface.

Most people would say that the end of the world has corrupted us all, but in truth it didn't. It unleashed the side of us, the real us, that so many of us were trying to hide.

It removed the veil, making the world we live in now clear.

After what happened last night, that epiphany hit me.

Thomas stripped the luxuries of his room away from me, sticking me in another empty box of a room.

I honestly liked it better this way, because anywhere that I was that he wasn't was a safer place than any.

Keira. I thought to myself. I hope you're doing okay kiddo. You're the only family I have left..the only person that I trust left.

The one thing that I hated about being in these tiny rooms with no windows to the outside was the fact that there was no indicator of time.

It made me feel insane, like I had fallen off the face of the earth, and where I ended up was unfathomable.

I could feel my stomach growling, but no matter how long I sat here and waited for that door to open up in front of me, it didn't.

...You really plan on starving me, don't you? I thought, followed by a frustrated chuckle. I deserve this. I really do. Makes me feel less guilty about what I did with you I guess...

Laying down on the cold cement floor, I sighed, tapping my fingers against the pavement.

As I laid there, memories of me complaining about stupid things crowded my mind. There wasn't a day where I sat there being unappreciative about something. I was such a brat, always thinking about how unfair the world was. Now look at where I was now. Now look at how fair things were now.

Then there was aunt Cathryn. So many days have passed by that when Keira and I got out of here, if we ever made it out of here, aunt Cathryn would be long gone.

...I'm sorry aunt Cat. I should have never called you. I can't imagine how you'll feel when we don't show up. I can't imagine the things you'll think...

This sickly feeling grabbed hold of me, ringing my insides in all sorts of motions I've never known.

I...I just wish I-

Before I could even finish my train of thought, the door finally swung open, the light from the hall blinding me.

On the other side of the threshold stood that same guard that grabbed my ass, Mason, his eyes piercing down at me.

...Not you.

Standing myself up, I took a few steps back as I watched him walk in, closing the door behind him.

What is this? I thought, fearful of what could happen next.

Placing his rifle in the corner of the room, he sighed, waving at me with his other hand.

"Sit back down. I'm not gonna hurt you." He said, walking towards me. "...And don't even think about making a run for that gun. I'll stab you faster than you can say ouch..."

Heeding his warning, I sat myself back down, watching as he mirrored my movements and sat down with me.

"Here..." He said, handing my a snickers chocolate bar he removed from his pocket. "It has almonds in it..."