Chapter Eleven - Nick

Chapter Eleven

Nick

We continued to walk in silence toward the woods. I never said a word. Isabella needed some time before she would ever talk about what happened today. I was watching the people push past us for a few minutes before she spoke.

"Thank you," she whispered, her gaze still on the sidewalk.

I turned my eyes toward her, startled by the sound. I smiled, even though she wasn't paying an ounce of  attention to me.

"For?"

She let go of my hand, and  for a second, I had a feeling of sadness wash over me. Isabella stopped and handed the cup of hot chocolate to me. I hesitantly took it as she fumbled with her fingers, walking again. Sighing, she kept a bit of distance ahead of me. I allowed her the space she needed.

"For standing up for me," she explained, still not meeting my eyes. "No one has ever done that before."

My anger boiled. Who wouldn't stand up for Isabella? She's the nicest person I've met since I arrived here. "Not even Jack?"

She shook her head. "Jack is never with me when it happens. He tries to go and confront them, but I never let him. Please don't tell him."

Finally, her eyes connected with mine. She was afraid. Afraid of what, I didn't know. I was sure she wasn't afraid of Jack because they were best friends. Maybe she was afraid of what Sylvia would do if Jack confronted her.

It took me a good amount of time before I promised, "I won't."

She paused and nodded at me. Without warning, Isabella turned around and grabbed my hand, pulling me in the opposite direction we had been walking. I barely opened my mouth before we were running, nearly slipping on the slush.

"I forgot to get something," she confessed, blushing. "Hope you don't mind."

I shook my head, keeping pace with her surprisingly fast body. She darted around the people as if they were obstacles before she slowed. I wasn't exactly the fittest person in the world, but running for at least five miles sure does cause anyone to slow down.

Isabella laughed at me. "We only ran half a mile, Nick. And before you ask, you did say that out loud. I think you may need to cut back on the hot chocolate and cookies."

I smiled and handed Isabella her cup of hot chocolate. Then I messed up her hair once again. She stuck her tongue out at me and spun on her heel, walking into a building. I paused, reading the sign, which read Jewel Osco. Hesitantly, I followed.

Hesitation had been a mistake. While I was waiting outside, Isabella had already dashed into the crowd of people inside the building. I stood on my toes, but I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of her. Some pushed me aside and I mentally yelled at them. I stood waiting for a few moments before I decided to start asking around.

Some of the people just glared at me, wondering why I was wasting their time. Others just ignored me, while others actually gave me an answer: no.

I groaned as I started to look between the aisles. She couldn't have gotten far, at least, I hope she hadn't. I had no idea where we were and wouldn't be able to find my way back to Jack's cabin in this century without her.

This is pointless, I thought.

I had looked through every aisle and still hadn't caught a glimpse of her. Isabella must have left. Turning around, I tossed my empty cup into a nearby can, letting the flow of the crowd drag me anyway it wanted.

"Nick!" a deep voice yelled. I couldn't decipher the voice with all the ruckus, but something about it made me shake.

I craned my head slightly before someone latched onto my arm, detaching me from the crowd into aisle ten. Nearly landing on my face, I threw my arms out, grabbing onto the shelf.