Chapter Twenty - Isabella

Chapter Twenty

Isabella

Nine days ago, I ran upstairs, my hip throbbing from the impact. Behind me, Nick had called my name, but then the whole house became quiet. I had glanced over the top of the railing, but Nick wasn't there. Sighing in relief and disappointment, I had ambled to my room, shutting the door lightly. I had flopped onto the bed, remembering when Nick had tickled me and I had fallen on top of him. Realizing I had been blushing, I shooed the thoughts from my mind and sat up, my eyes darting around the room.

For four days, I avoided Nick at whatever cost. On weekdays, I woke up half an hour earlier to leave the cabin before he woke up. I would walk around town and come back to the cabin around seven thirty every night. Each time, Nick was pacing in front of the door when I came back. He would sigh in relief and watch me sadly as I rushed to my room. He never tried to talk to me in those days. And I didn't tell him about Sylvia stealing the necklace he gave me in gym while I was showering after swimming. He would go and confront her, and I didn't want anymore trouble than what she caused me. Plus, I was terrified at the possibility of him hating me for losing it in the first place.

For two of those nine days after the first four, I would come back around six. I still avoided Nick and never looked at him when we ate dinner, since I still hadn't been able to retrieve the necklace. None of the teachers had believed me when I reported Sylvia. Jack had come back those days and noticed the tension in the air. I remember him pulling Nick aside and they talked. This time, I avoided both of them. But they teamed up and would wait by the front door each morning, walking me to school. Nick walked me to school both days, and Jack would be waiting at the bridge. After school, Nick would follow me around, keeping his distance as I walked about. It pained me to see the hurt in his gaze whenever I passed, but I had a reason.

Ever since my parents died, I felt as if I would never be loved. Nick deserved someone better than an orphan whose uncle might as well not even exist who is afraid of loving someone other than her sister. He didn't want to date someone who was as shy as me and ugly. He needed someone like Danielle or Amber; pretty. I was nowhere near as beautiful as them. But, most of all, I was afraid that I would fall for Nick and he would find someone better, leaving me behind like everyone else.

Problem was, I had already falling head over heels for him.

On the last three days, I opened up a bit more and came home around five. Nick still followed me, but he never went inside the school like he did on the day we almost kissed. Each day I would come home, finish my homework, cook, and then go to my room without eating. I would shower before going to bed, and each time I came out, there was a plate of food waiting for me. Since I had skipped breakfast to get out of the house faster, I would finish the food and fall asleep. In the mornings, I would find the plate gone and replaced with a granola bar. I never ate them though. The guilt of losing the necklace still ate away at my insides.

On the ninth day, I walked a bit slower, getting home around four thirty. I ambled toward the stairs as Nick shut the door. Passing me, he gave a small smile, but it disappeared when he thought I wasn't looking. Without hesitation, I reached out and my fingers brushed his skin. He tensed, pausing. Sucking in my breath, I moved to stand in front of him. He glanced at me, unsure of what I was going to do. I surprised myself by wrapping my arms around him, and he returned the embrace.

I pulled away and darted up the steps without hearing what he had to say. Once I reached my room, I glanced around. I no longer had the urge to avoid Nick or anyone else in the house, but I knew I couldn't get too attached or let him take my breath away, but that wasn't going to happen. Stressed, I walked to the closet.