Prologue

© 2012 All Rights Reserved

~Prologue~

The mouse carefully found his way between the pounds of wrapping paper left carelessly on the wood floor. His little paws carried him toward the scent of hot chocolate as his nose twitched, causing his whiskers to twitch as well. The little mouse found himself in a large, brightly lit room with a huge, green Christmas tree to his right. The tree was covered in ornaments, lights, and popcorn. Looking around, he used his two back legs to lift himself as he munched on the closest kernel.

"Nikolas, you can't be serious," a feminine voice said, worry lacing through her words.

"Mary, I need to go. He can't have the life he deserves with me here," a male voice answered, trying to calm the woman down.

Shutting his mouth, the mouse turned his ripped, left ear toward the bickering couple. He forgot about the popcorn and his protesting stomach as he scurried towards them, keeping out of view; he knew how humans didn't like him, he had his ear as proof.

"Nikolas, he won't have a good life if his father is halfway across the world doing who knows what. Stay here and teach him what he needs to learn," the woman begged.

Slightly sticking his head out, the grey mouse tried to blend in with the shadows as he studied the two. The woman had her brown hair pulled into a tight bun, a few stray hairs here and there; her dress was a rich red with white fluff around the cuffs and collar. Her cheeks were rosy, her skin a bit pale, and her light green eyes held unshed tears from what the man had told her earlier.

The man, who, the mouse noted, was a bit on the chubby side with huge feet, gently grabbed her hands in his. His thumbs rubbed the back of her hands as she sighed, slowly calming down.

"I have to go," he whispered, his voice holding no room for argument.

"He can't do this without you," she breathed, ignoring the tone of his voice.

The mouse backpedaled under the sofa as a noise broke the silence. The man stood, dropping the sad woman's hands. Lifting his head, the mouse watched the man pull on his black boots. His chin was covered with a long, white beard and a small mustache. He grabbed a long, red hat with a small, white ball at the end until he realized something and put it back in its place next to the giant, red suit that was hanging on the wall.

"He seems like a smart kid," the man argued, looking toward the crib on the other side of the room where an infant was sleeping peacefully, unaware of everything that was happening. "He will have no trouble taking over. I trust him."

"Did your father leave you to learn this?" she asked, her eyes focused on the ground, voice dangerously low.

"He can do it," the man repeated, opening the door.

The little mouse shook from the rush of cold air and ducked against the leg of the couch. The couch creaked as the woman stood up and walked toward him. The mouse now noticed that she wore bright red gloves that matched her dress perfectly.

"Don't do this."

"I have to," he replied.

"Don't do this to him," she croaked.

He could tell that the man paused for a moment, sighing deeply as if he held the world on his shoulders. He pulled the woman into a quick, tight embrace before walking out. The mouse hurried toward the door hiding behind a medium sized snow globe. A four legged animal with large sharp things on its head ambled toward the chunky man.

The man gave the animal a pat before turning and blowing a kiss to the woman. She wiped her watery eyes. The man took a deep breath and walked toward the never ending trees, snow falling lightly around him and the creature. The two walked forward, slowing leaving behind the family. As he placed his hand on the animal's back, they disappeared and the ground shook.

Finally, the woman let her tears trickle down. She didn't notice the fire crackling in its place, and she didn't notice as ornaments started to fall and shatter on the floor. The mouse dug his nails into the soft carpet he was standing on. The woman didn't notice as the baby's cries split the air. The mouse had a feeling nothing would ever be the same.

He bolted off as the snow globe shook as if it were possessed. Squeaking, he tucked his tail under his body, teeth clicking together. He didn't see the snow in the snow globe start to circle around as a name showed on the small, metal plate the reindeer statue held in his mouth: Isabella Moore.