Epilogue - Nick

Epilogue

Nick

Nervous, I glanced around at the decor, but none of it registered in my head, even though I had helped pick it out. I was too anxious to notice as the elves looked for their seats. In my head, I yelled at them to hustle so we could begin, but I just flickered my gaze to them for a second. Some of them were wearing tuxedos while others wore dark colored jeans with dress shirts, all ranging in color -- like a rainbow. The female elves chattered among themselves, fawning over what dresses they were wearing. My mother had given them a week off to create them.

I shuffled from foot to foot, chewing on my fingernails. My eyes continued to dart around the room, never staying in one place for too long, except the front doors. I glanced at the wooden, double doors, but they still didn't open. The piano player didn't begin either.

"You shouldn't bite your nails, Nick," my father said from behind, startling me.

 I took the finger away and smiled sheepishly at him. "I know, but I can't help it."

He nodded, his white beard hitting his chest. He was much healthier now than he was three years ago when Isabella and I had found him. Again, I glanced at the doors, my heart sinking when they didn't open.

"They will open when it's time, Nick," my father informed me, finally noticing where I was looking.

"What," I asked, terrified, "if she decides she doesn't want to do it? What if she found someone else when I wasn't there? What if--"

"Nick," he interrupted, placing a firm hand on my shoulder. I returned to my earlier habit and began to bite my nails, never meeting his gaze. "Do you love her?"

Shocked, I paused my chewing and stared at him as if he had grown a new head. My voice held no hesitation or uncertainty; "Of course. I love her more than you can imagine. She's my everything."

"Does she love you?"

This time, I hesitated, unsure; "Yes--Maybe--No," I said, my voice rising from the thought. "What--"

"Nick, let me tell you something," my father said gently, sitting on the carpeted step of the stage. I quickly sat down next to him. "Ever since I saw her, I knew you two were meant to be. I know--from what Finwë told me--that you fell head over heels for her the minute you two met. I've seen the way you look at each other, and the looks are full of strong affection. I have no doubt she loves you, Nick."

I released the breath I held in, rubbing the back of my neck. In an instant, I felt as if I were being choked. My fingers fumbled with the black, cotton bow tie I wore. I loosened it just enough to breathe. My father glanced at me with an amused--yet loving--expression. He chuckled, his big belly shaking.

"She sure has made you a entertaining mess," he commented, a smile tugging at his lips.

I opened my mouth to speak when my uncle Dan spoke, messing up my brown hair, which was raised in a low quiff, as he passed. I grumbled in protest, my hands working to fix it. "It's because he's in love. Don't you remember how he was after she said yes?" he questioned, and my father broke into a fit of laughter.

I crossed my arms, the sleeves of the tux brushing my skin. "It wasn't that bad."

My uncle laughed, bending slightly forward. "You were in a daze for the whole day--no, week," he said, and my father nodded in agreement, his green eyes twinkling. "You were too happy to eat and started planning the very next morning. You are head over heels for this girl."

I remembered the day he was talking about; I couldn't forget it. Once she said yes, I couldn't go to sleep, and I started looking through websites for what I needed. If the decision was up to me, I would have gotten married at a church with my immediate family and been done with it the next morning. But, since she had hinted she wanted a proper wedding, I obliged and planned a real wedding, in a month. Hey, I couldn't wait a year.