1/O'Death

Bright light shines through the window as I fade out of sleep. Out of habit I check my phone, but quickly remember that there's no service up in the mountains. I run my hand through my hair as I work up the motivation to get out of bed. I put on a pair of slippers before walking out of my room and down the large staircase. Sam is the only one downstairs.

"Morning," I say sitting next to her on the couch.

"Hey, how'd you sleep?" She asks turning next to me.

"Okay, Josh needs to learn how to turn on the heat. I was freezing last night."

"I'm working on it." I hear from behind me, causing me to jump.

"Jesus fuck Josh!" I yell slapping my cousin on the arm.

"Good morning to you too sunshine," he laughs.

"Morning guys," I turn around and see Emily and Mike walking over to us.

"Who else is awake?" Mike asks sitting with Emily on the couch across from Sam and me.

"Just us I think. I heard a shower when I was walking out of my room though," I say.

"It must be Chris, he likes to shower really early so he doesn't have to worry about waiting for people," Josh says. I feel myself blush at the mention of Chris, this secret crush on him is getting really out of hand. It's like he's constantly in my thoughts. The only one who knows that I like him is Beth. She promised she wouldn't tell anyone especially Ashley. It's so obvious that she and Chris like each other, there's no point in thinking I stand a chance with him. I decided a while ago that I would save myself the heartache of being humiliated in front of my crush by just keeping my feelings hidden. Every time I'm around him I try my best to act normal. I think Josh is suspicious of my feelings, but he hasn't confronted me about it.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by creaking wood. Looking over I see Hannah and Beth racing down the hall to the staircase. Beth reaches the bottom of the stairs first.

"Ha I win!" She laughs throwing her arms up in victory.

"Yeah whatever," Hannah says sounding annoyed. They look at each other for a second before they burst out laughing.

"How many times are you guys going to do that this week?" I ask laughing with them.

"As many times as it takes for me to win," Hannah says back.

"Okay I'm making breakfast, any requests?" I ask standing up.

"I'll take fifty pancakes, one muffin, and a beer please," Josh says.

"You can eat when you fix the heat," I tell him.

"Bitch," he mutters.

"I heard that," I snap walking over to the kitchen.

"You were supposed to," I hear Josh snap back.

I open the kitchen cabinets and grab some pancake mix. I follow the instructions on the box and add some chocolate chips into the batter. I cut up some strawberries and make some hot chocolate French toast. By the time I finish cooking breakfast it's around noon and everyone is awake and waiting for me to finish in the living room.

"Okay guys breakfast is served," I say. Everyone stands up and rushes to the dining room where I've placed all the food.

"You've really outdone yourself Cara," Ashley says taking a seat next to Jess.

"Thanks," I smile.

"Fuck yeah! You made the French toast I really like," Chris says taking two pieces from the center of the table. Beth gives me a look.