8 Luna

Watch out there's a bad word

"Noah"

I choked on my own saliva and it took me a few awkward moments for me to stop coughing. I wipe away my tears from the coughing fit as quickly as possible.

Noah.

The name sent sweet chills through my spine yet it coming off her tongue made it seem foreign.

I felt as though my tongue had swollen and I couldn't speak. I wanted to clear the silence desperately; I could have said anything as long as it removed the warm feeling I now had. The swollen feeling subsided when I swallowed but it was still hard to speak.

"W-Why would your boyfriend send you to me?" I stammered and hoped I wasn't acting too weird although my voice had cracked once I uttered the word boyfriend.

She smacked her lips together loudly like she always does when she's thinking.

"Okay it's really complicated but basically my mate told me that his father had gotten a message about a huge fight in the River pack that you single handedly ended!"

My wolf growled when she called my mate hers and I had to calm my rising temper to make sure I wouldn't do something I'd regret to Sam's face.

I couldn't focus on her words very well since I was occupied with calming my wolf, so I could only make out the end.

"...and so he told me to come and make sure that you were doing okay because he knows how much I want to be here for you."

Again, my wolf whined when she told me he sent her here not for my sake but for hers.

"He's coming by soon but has to clear up all of the boring details with merging three packs."

Coming here? I shoo away my foolish thoughts and reminded myself that he is Sam's and I don't care about him.

When she was done I didn't really know what to say and decided that small talk was the best cure for silence.

"Wow that must be a hell of a lot of pressure on the future Alpha." I mentally face-palmed for being so stupid as to bring him back into the conversation. Sam gave me an odd look and I realized that I actually face-palmed.

It didn't take long for her to forget about my odd behaviour and shrugged nonchalantly at my question. Almost like she assumed that it was a piece of cake to manage more than six hundred people; werewolves nonetheless.

"It isn't really his problem until his father retires. Right now all he's doing is a version of take your kid to work day."

I didn't want to be rude and contradict her although I knew that his father would have him making many of the decisions to ease him into the Alpha role.

Sam made a face like she wanted to ask me something but then decided not to and her coffee brown eyes looked away from me.

I looked over my shoulder to the people that I had travelled with, but they had already continued begun to walk into Shadow pack territory. I couldn't see the houses but I knew that they weren't too far away and at most two hundred yards. Even the young wolves that wanted to take me on had skippered back to their homes.

Without looking back to see if Sam would follow, I began walking towards the pack.

I needed something to stop my thoughts from wandering so I turn my head up to the sky. The sun is impossible to see behind a thick sheet of dark clouds. A storm was coming.