5 Run

The trees only got denser as I picked up my pace, faster and faster. Just a few hours ago I had lost my breath from merely running for a few minutes; now, I could run for days. My legs burned but not in a way that made me want to stop, more like my body was tired of being my body.

Let me take over, Beth told me.

I stopped running and stood in the middle of the dark forest. I waited for my body to reform for the first time into my wolf.

Minutes passed and I was starting to doubt if I even could shift, when I felt a stabbing pain run through my spine. I hissed in pain but didn't attempt to stop the transformation as my skin began to grow white fur. I felt the bones in my arms, fingers, legs, and face realign their positions under my skin. I tried to separate myself from the pain I was going through.

When I looked up again i was closer to the ground. What were once the faint noises of the forest now thrummed through my ears like I had put the volume up to full. I outwardly made what sounded like a whine and put my ears between my hands to make the sounds go away. My hands were now paws and I found it harder to keep them covering my ears. When I felt the last pop of a joint easing into my new body I knew I had fully turned into a wolf and sprinted off, my new rail wagging behind me.

The forest ground was my race track and I jumped over the roots of trees like they were obstacles on a track. The cold night air was a blanket around my face that I took comfort in it while I picked up my pace.

Unfortunately, not even the feel of dirt under my paws could help take the pain in my chest away as I ran as fast and far away as I could.

I was already a nuisance to this pack but now I was a threat. An alpha needs a Luna with alpha blood, or beta, or even third would do, but Omega? No. Who would fear a pack with one of the leaders being the weakest of the pack? Sure, I have alpha blood but that doesn't make me powerful enough to be useful. My presence would only drag Soul pack's name through the dirt. Everyone would either loathe or laugh at me.

And Sam. Sam who has stuck by my side even when everyone was rooting for her not to. She deserved more than a backstabbing friend like me. She was the one who should be Luna of Soul pack. It's what she was born to do. Why did my mate have to be her boyfriend?

Lastly, they love each other. They've been together since before high school. I had no right to take that away from them. I know that Noah only went near me because of the bond and if it wasn't there he wouldn't even hesitate to reject me.

So I had to go home. My real home, in Ruby pack. My parents wouldn't want me but I could try to reason with them. I wasn't Luna material but I was still worth something. I could at the very least do the housework for them.

Maybe one day I'll come back to Soul pack and officially reject Noah as my mate, but for now I just needed some time to think.

I finally stopped running when I heard a rabbit thump not twenty feet away. My wolf took over and I caught it in my teeth. I let go of it and it limply hit the dirt between my front two legs. I could hear it's heartbeat and unsteady breathing so I knew that it was alive.

So weak, I thought, so powerless. I could kill the brown creature just with a close of my jaw. Its eyes darted around, looking for ways of escape. It can't defend itself, it doesn't deserve to survive. Kill or be killed. I lowered my mouth back to its already bleeding neck. For a second it didn't move, but then it was flying out of my grasp and into the thick bush near me.

Just because it was weak didn't mean it wasn't going to fight. I gave up on it and continued my path in the forest.

I spent my entire life waiting for my mate, the only person that would unconditionally love me forever, and he wasn't mine to love How could Goddess Selene curse me with such heartache?