12 Bigger things to worry about

"Are you sure?"

I stand at the end of the room near the door. I'm ready to leave if Alpha Stevens tells me to. Noah is sitting down on one of the couches with his hands on his knees, obviously trying to keep himself controlled. His father is trying to do the same by pacing the room with his hands balled into fists. He didn't need to be told we were sure we saw them, because he knew.

"How many were there?"

Noah's eyes occasionally flicker to black. When they do he clenches his jaw and they fade back to grey. Now he looks up to his father, who is now behind his desk with both of his hands against it firmly.

"By my count, twelve," he reports.

Alpha Stevens stiffens then stands straighter.

"You know what we have to do," he picks up the phone on his desk as Noah nods and begins to leave. I have no idea what either of them have to do but I know I have to follow him. Once he leaves the room I go to leave as well when the alpha calls out my name.

"Yes Alpha?" I put my head down and turn to him.

"What are you doing here?" The phone is in his hand against his ear but he hasn't yet dialled any numbers. I am about to come up with a bad excuse when he cuts me off.

"Violet, the first rule of being an alpha is that you must address other alphas by their first names."

"Yes Alph-I mean, yes...Charles." He is sitting in his chair now, looking at a photo on his desk. "I was coming out of the meeting wth you and the other alphas when your son's car stopped beside me. He told me about the men he saw at the restaurant and he thought it wasn't safe if I walked all the way back to my pack."

Lies.

"So...he brought you here?" He looks dumbfounded so I clear my throat to explain.

"Y-yes because I want to know what you think I should do, being that you're a more experienced alpha."

At least that part was true.

"Your father is Alpha Ruby."

It wasn't a question but a statement. I nodded nonetheless.

"If he taught you anything in the eight years he looked after you I hope he taught you how to lead a pack." I look down at my feet at the reminder of my life with my parents.

"You will never have to submit to anyone again." His voice is firm and powerful and I look up to meet his eyes. I didn't look down to my feet in submission but it's obvious he thinks I did.

"You are the alpha to a pack twice as large as even mine. You needed to step up and become the leader you were raised to be and I'm glad you did by coming to me for help. It shows your dedication to your new pack."

If I was truly dedicated to my pack I wouldn't have delayed going back so I could have some food with Noah. I've been only thinking about myself when there are hundreds of people relying on me.

"Right now you need to get your pack under control. That means prevent any fights between the men and make sure that everyone has food, water, clothing, and shelter." He put a hand on his right temple. "Obviously your parents wouldn't have told you anything about how to protect a pack; that's why I'm sending my son with you to your pack house to organize your men into patrols. This is of course your decision because it is your pack, but remember that I am trying to help your pack."