Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Mara

It's a strange feeling, floating above yourself. Like reading a really good book. You can faintly feel the characters feeling, but a split second of too much emotion can tear you away from that. I've always been like that. Not like other people. They feel so strongly and so fully. Sometimes I'm envious when I look at the good emotions: happiness, love. Other times I'm thankful, when I look at the bad ones: neglect, pain, abuse, heartbreak, shame. I can look at my situation from the view of a stranger. Usually it's pretty helpful. Right now, about all I'm getting is a big this sucks. Mike comes back in. I study him. There is no trace of the regretful boy from last night and I'm almost positive I dreamed it. He sits on the edge of the bed, fingering the cover, slowly. He shakes his head slowly, "You could've escaped you know. If you hadn't of tried to save her. It's a shame too. Now your all beat up from someone who really didn't need saving," he smiles suddenly, "for a girl who is so smart, sometimes... Your awfully stupid." And as if on cue a very well made up Seyes walks into the room and in that moment, it was like I knew all along, nothing could have been less surprising than the picture standing before me. Long gone was the weak, blood-covered girl who I tried to rescue and in her place stood a very made up girl with a smirk on her face. I sighed slowly and the smirk melted from her face, but it wasn't until she looked at Mike and saw him looking at me that she began to glare. Blood-curdling. Her look was very much a promise and a threat. "Leave." The word came so fast I could have sworn it was never spoken and then Seyes stomped out of the room. Mike took her leave as a cue to move up further on the bed and touch the side of my face. A look came on his face and all the sudden he grabbed my leg and kissed me roughly, mashing his lips against mine before roughly pulling away and growling into my ear, "You're mine, you always were and you always will be."