Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Mara
My head is spinning and my heart is pounding. I've stayed in this room... What? A week? A day? A month maybe. No sunshine to judge the days by. No change in anything. No clock. My fear has all but subsided. Mike has been gentle for awhile, but one wrong word on my part could bring it back. I hardly see him anymore except when he gives me food, sometimes I feel him there when I sleep. I'm chipping away at the wood in the corner where I found a small hole with a piece of the bed that I broke off. Each day I move the dresser in front of it so that he don't see it. I am so close that I can taste the freedom but the closer I get the more I wonder what I have waiting for me on the other side. Is escape from this house enough? I have already disappeared... Would I want to go home? Would I have to? I look at the dresser and begin to move it over. Just a little but enough to see something that stopped me dead in my tracks. I stare at the fresh wood that boards up my little hole. My chance of freedom. I swallow the scream I feel riding and curl up on the ground in despair. The door opens. I hardly look up, I can feel his smirk, but when he speaks I am surprised. There is no smile in his voice, no malice, only sadness when he says, "Oh baby, you just made a big, big mistake."