Chapter 7 (Halloween! Part 1)

Author's note: Yes, this is a Halloween special in honor of all the positive attention this story and its first book have gotten. It's a little late, but I still wanted to post it. Part two will be up very soon. Happy belated Halloween, everyone, and as always, enjoy! ~ awesomeri14

"What are you supposed to be?"

Steven adjusted his clear plastic space helmet and tugged on his pink and black t-shirt. He had dyed the shirt himself, but the helmet had been found online.

Today was an important day, a day that the youngest member of the Crystal Gems had been waiting for for what felt like forever. It was Halloween! Steven hadn't always been fond of the events that followed this day, but now he was, and he was going with his dad and Connie, which made it even better. He was so excited that he could hardly stand still.

Peridot had asked him this question. Steven had explained the holiday to her a little, but the green gem still didn't quite get it. "I'm Cookie Cat, a cat that travels through space! He left his family behind on his home planet, so he's sort of like you." Steven straightened the black cat ear headband he wore as he spoke.

Peridot put a hand up to her chin thoughtfully. "I see...what is a cat like, exactly?" Unbeknownst to her, Amethyst had snuck up behind her, and she shapeshifted into her cat form with a flash of light. "They're like this!" She tackled Peridot before she could react, and the two of them tumbled to the floor. Steven couldn't keep from smiling as Amethyst pinned the other gem down, her lavender paws holding her in place.

Peridot squirmed, trying frantically to escape. "Amethyst, release me right now!" Amethyst grinned cheekily, but then sighed. "Aw, fine. You're no fun." She got up and turned back into her regular form. The purple gem left the room soon after, but not before sticking her tongue out at them both.

Steven shook his head. "Amethyst was fooling around, but cats do look like that." Peridot found herself to be interested. She didn't know much about Earth's creatures. "Do they jump on people?"

The little boy chuckled. "Sometimes, but they're usually nice. They're soft and make nice sounds when they're happy." There was the telltale sound of approaching footsteps, and Garnet arrived in the room, along with Pearl. "Happy Halloween, Steven," the fusion gem stated. She held a bowl full of human delicacies. Steven took a handful, but Peridot didn't budge. She stiffened. The perma fusion didn't seem to be angry, but that could change. This Halloween they spoke of...it was very weird. Supposedly it was fun to pretend to be something you weren't, but the green gem didn't think so. Going out to get this "candy" didn't seem so great, either. However, Steven seemed eager to go out, and the gems were jubilant as well, so...she would pretend she was enjoying herself, for his sake. The Pearl took notice of her then. She guessed that the gem had been ignoring her up until that moment. "Oh, Peridot...hello." "Greetings," Peridot murmured. "Happy..uh...Halloween?"

"Yes, same to you," Garnet said. She straightened her visor, and suddenly stood a little straighter. Turning to Pearl, she spoke. "There are forced fusions on the outskirts of town."

Pearl was aghast. "Forced fusions? Oh no, that's bad. I don't know how they got here, but we have to stop them." The white gem crouched down to look Steven in the eyes. "I'm sorry, Steven, but we can't take you out to trick or treat this year, not with those things running around." She turned back to Garnet, her blue eyes alight with worry. "How many of them are there?"

Garnet was silent for a moment, then replied. "More than I would've expected. We must leave immediately."

"Wait, don't go," Steven protested. "Can't those wait until later?"

Pearl scolded him. "Oh, don't be ridiculous. Of course they can't. They're very dangerous!" When she saw his disappointed expression, she sighed. "Oh, Steven...Greg will be back at the house in an hour with Connie, and once he arrives, you can go. It's not that long of a wait."