Chapter 1

The sky was hazy in the Kindergarten, filled with a thick smog that hadn't gone away, even after thousands of years. The throbbing, thrumming agony in Peridot's forehead worsened with each step she took, and a cry escaped from her. She fell to the ground, her legs unable to support her body's weight anymore, and she knew from the sound that echoed around her that someone was coming closer and closer. That someone was Garnet, the crazed fusion gem that had been following her through this wasteland just to end her life. She laughed slightly, then hoisted Peridot up by her arm, her grip unbreakable. "I've finally got you," she murmured. "Finally, this chase is over. What will you do now? Home world won't come to save you." "I...I won't.." Peridot struggled to speak. Her words were too shaky, too weakened by her injury to be anything audible. Finally she forced them out. "I won't do anything. I'm ready to go. Just...be quick." She had nearly choked at that. The pain in her wrist worsened as Garnet held her tighter. "Alright." The gem moved her down, about to release her. The green gem embraced this sinking feeling, the pain she felt. She would die at last, and be free from this torturous group of rebels. Unfortunately, Garnet didn't listen to what she asked for. She picked up the weakened technician and slammed her down against the dirt ground once, then twice, then three times. Peridot soon lost count, but felt the twisting, deep pain. It was worse this time, more lasting. Her visor had shattered entirely, and bits of her gem fell off of her face like shards of glass. Cracks had shot up from her body too, her legs, feet and torso fractured. Garnet smirked, taking pleasure from her suffering. "You attacked us. You were sent here to hurt this planet. I have no intention of letting you die in peace." The pain blazed in her temples like fire, burning the backs of her eyes. She mouthed words, but they didn't make it to the other gem's ears. She spat them out, wincing as the freshly ignited fires reached her jaw. "F-Fine." Garnet threw her up so high that she was airborne, and could see the tops of the rock faces that had once housed gems. She felt like a rocket in flight, and was strangely happy since she had never been able to see the tops of the ancient structures before. At last, she plummeted back down, and a gust of wind swept her hair back into her face. She plummeted downwards, accepting her death, knowing that no one would remember her existence, except for one person. Ben. Where is he now? Has he forgotten me yet? The floor met with Peridot's form, and she gasped as her gem cracked farther, spewing more shining bits of green crystal down onto the dirt. How she was still alive was beyond her, but Garnet's laughter neared again. She pressed her gauntlet up to the battered gem's forehead, resting her fist up against her badly damaged gem. Darkness shrouded her vision. She would've welcomed it, but panic blossomed inside of her. She didn't want this, not yet. "B-Ben," she whispered with her last breath. "H-Help. Somebody..." Garnet slowly shook her head. "There will be no mercy for you, Peridot. Your days of hurting the Earth are over." Peridot smiled then. Death. The sweet release of it, at last. Garnet drew her arm back, and when her fist connected with the pale gem, she burst into light, vanishing from existence with a sound like a released, breathy sigh. The last bits of Peridot's gem fell to the ground, but Garnet caught them before they could ever make contact with the soil, and crushed them.

Ben gasped, sitting up in his bed. Sweat made his black hair and plain white shirt cling to his body. He sighed in relief. It was just a dream, but he had felt her pain, her emotions...

This happened often now. Every few nights or so, he would dream of Peridot as he had seen her last-her gem cracked and missing a foot. She would limp, and would soon be captured and killed by the Crystal Gems. Her killer changed each night. Sometimes it was Pearl, stabbing her gem with her white spear. Sometimes it was Amethyst, strangling her with her purple whip. But today...it had been Garnet.

Ben winced. Garnet. Even thought they were on friendly terms now, the gem leader was still intimidating, with her shades and her gauntlets and the fearsome way she approached her targets. Steven adored her, always happy when she was around, but even now, Ben feared her, and in his dreams, so did Peridot. Usually in these nightmares, the green gem would be killed and Ben would witness it from a distance, his dreams rendering him motionless so he would be unable to help, but this time...he had been her. He had seen what she had seen, done what she had done, and this was harder to cope with. He put a hand to his head. God, why can't I forget about her? Weeks had gone by, but the triangle haired gem that had left him could never leave his thoughts.

Ben should have just done as Garnet had asked-left her as soon as she seemed willing to turn on him. He hadn't listened, and now it seemed that he would lose his mind without her. Ben kicked the covers off of his bed, and stood up, his blue eyes half closed. The memory of his dream didn't fade, and he shuddered, his eyes opening.

If I can't figure out a way to stop this, it will be the death of me.

Author's note: Hello, and welcome to the next book in the Shattered Hearts series! I know you've all been very excited for this, but I do need to warn you that school starts soon for me, and once it does, updates will be very slow. Sorry, in advance, for that. Anyways, enjoy, and the next chapter will hopefully be up soon. At this point, though, your ideas will be welcomed, since I'm currently out of them. If you have an idea for what the next chapter should focus on, let me know, and I will certainly consider your input. Thanks for all the wonderful support!