Chapter 10

Peridot gazed up at the ceiling of the Crystal Gem's barn thoughtfully. She knew she should be working on the drill for the Cluster, but she had allowed herself to have a small break. Why did the inhabitants of this planet build housing developments in this manner, anyway? Home world didn't build them like this. The green gem had been counting down the seconds until her break would be up. Eighty robonoids, eighty one robonoids... Once the two minutes she had allotted was up, she resumed her work, using the primitive human tools to do it. She sawed away, twisted the thing called a screwdriver, and even pounded nails into place with a hammer. The first time she did this, though, she succeeded in hitting her hand with the archaic device. Seething with rage and trying not to cry out, Peridot threw the stupid thing across the room and left it there until she was satisfied that it wouldn't come back and attack her. She didn't know how human technology worked. Even if it was limited, it was all she had to work with, and she wished the Gems would at least explain it to her. However, this was only a thought, and it dissipated quickly. She decided that she'd figure it out on her own, and wouldn't, under any circumstances, stoop to their level.

Apparently, it was Steven's birthday. The little gem hybrid had been more giddy than usual, scurrying about to talk to the Gems occasionally. In his excitement, he hadn't come to her yet. That was fine. Having no interruptions would guarantee that progress would be made. After retrieving some supplies, she pushed the door to the barn. It slid open, letting in harsh sunlight. Peridot backed away, squinting.

A familiar voice rang out, catching her attention. "Hey, Peri! Wanna get in on this?" It was Amethyst. As much as the green gem admired her, that admiration only went so far. After seeing her pop an object that resembled her face, Peridot went with her initial response and went back inside after fixing her goggles. She didn't need those gems. Besides, they would only break her things. This had to be the right thing to do. Turning back to her project, Peridot reached for the hammer carefully and made sure not to smash her fingers with it this time around. She nearly did when an interruption that was particularly hard to ignore chose this time to speak.

Ben. Peridot opened the barn door slightly to see the adolescent human give Steven a box wrapped in colorful paper. The little boy took off the paper and opened the box to reveal a small figurine. "Wow, a new Guy! Thanks, Ben!" The gem hybrid then embraced the older boy, smiling cheerfully. Ben looked slightly embarrassed by this gesture, but he still smiled back. "Aw, it's no problem, Steven. Happy birthday!" He ruffled the boy's dark curly hair. Amethyst came up behind them and made a farting noise with her mouth. She blamed it on the balloon she was holding, causing them both to laugh. Peridot retreated from her eavesdropping spot to go back into the barn. She couldn't leave her work for too long, and what they were doing didn't look fun anyway. Not at all... The green gem yawned. She had refrained from sleeping for the last couple of days to accomplish more in the barn and outside of it with her replacement log. Since she had fallen into a pattern of completing the action for so long, she had started to long for it. It was so peaceful-no. She wouldn't eat, either. Peridot wouldn't allow herself to submit to such mundane habits again. She would turn back to what she knew best. The gem had to, or she might break the rules again. She had already broken so many. There was a knock on the door, a small one. Peridot knew who it was from. She hardly had to look to know, but the voice certainly gave it away. "Um, Peri, you really don't have to stay in here all day, you know."

"Yes, I do." Peridot turned a particularly stubborn bolt, moving her yellowish green hair out of her face with one swift movement. "This drill needs to be completed. Don't you have someone else you can pester, Ben?" The boy was amused, and this frustrated her, but she wouldn't let it show. "No, not really."

The wild haired boy moved to sit beside her and watch her work. Peridot could feel his eyes on her. There was nothing threatening about them, but she still blushed all the same. "I just thought we could talk."