Deadly Affairs- Chapter 2

I woke up hearing the security system go off. I jumped out of bed and sprinted to the front door and I saw Kellin trying to open the door, he probably would’ve already been out the door if I didn’t have a door chain all the way at the top of the door. I grabbed him by his shirt and yanked him back causing him to stumble and almost fall. I put in the security code turning off the alarm.

“What are you doing?” I said in a serious tone looking him dead in the eyes, stepping closer. I felt like I was showing my malicious side a little but it was my natural reaction. It felt like he was trying to escape even though I wasn’t holding him hostage. Well.. I was kind of holding him hostage but not to kill him.

“I have work and you can’t keep me here this is illegal!” He said clearly getting angry. I walked pass him and picked up the phone then brought it back to him pushing it to his chest.

“Call in sick.” I said sternly.

“No, you’re crazy. I’m leaving right now!” He said and went for the door but I blocked him.

“No you’re not. You’re going to call in now.” I said glaring at him. He didn’t move or say anything he was just staring at me. “You think I’m going to let you leave so you can try to kill yourself again?” I said and his facial expression changed.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said now emotionless.

“Alright then look me in the eye and say that you won’t hurt yourself if I let you leave.” The sternness in my voice now fading away. He didn’t say anything he just looked down and that gave me my answer. “You’re not going anywhere. Call in.” I guess he didn’t want to talk about him trying to kill himself so he just complied. He called his job taking the day off then I called my job doing the same thing, my boss wasn’t so happy about that. I went in the kitchen and brewed up some coffee, I can’t remember the last time I actually used this coffee maker seeing as I usually go to the coffee shop on my way to work. I handed him a cup of coffee and he took a sip of it. I sat on the opposite end of the couch and turned on the TV.

“What do you want to watch?” I asked him but he didn’t answer he just kept sipping his coffee with his head down. I guess he wasn’t much of a talker. I turned on a random movie and sat beside him every now and again looking over at him. He just sat there with a blank look on his face. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking which irritated me more than anything. “What are you thinking?” I said as I paused the movie.

“I want to go home.” He said just staring off into space.

“Well I can’t allow that seeing as you’re going through something, obviously.” I said

“You don’t even know me, so you have no right to say that.” He said now finally showing some emotion. He was judging me for judging him.

“I know that you tried to jump of a building and I know that when I asked you if you would hurt yourself if I let you leave you couldn’t even answer.”  He rolled his eyes at me and turned the other way. Every time I brought up him trying to kill himself or anything involving that subject he just shut down or did whatever I said so he didn’t have to talk about it.

“I have to use the bathroom.” He said back to being emotionless.

“Down the hall” I pointed. He got up and began walking back to the bathroom. “And leave the door open.” I shouted.

“What, you think I’m going to drown myself in the toilet?” he said clearly being sarcastic. So he’s not much of a talker and when does he’s sarcastic, I’ll keep note of that. I heard the toilet flush and his footsteps coming towards the living room. “I want to go out, I need some fresh air.” He said standing behind me.

“I know you’re just going to run.” I said turning around.

“Honestly I’m not. You’re crazy, I feel like if I ran you would track me down.” He said and I started to smile because he was right, I would but it wouldn’t have been that hard to find him seeing as I know where he lives already.

“Fine.” I said grabbing my keys and jacket as we headed out. I was expecting him to run but he didn’t. He walked down the street beside me quiet, just like he usually walks with his head down and hands in his pockets. The streets weren’t busy at all. We walked a couple blocks until we started to pass some fast food places.

“I’m hungry” he said out of nowhere.

“Alright we’ll go in here and get some burgers or something” I said pointing at the burger shack we were in front of. We went inside and ordered some burgers and fries to go then began to walk back to my house. When we got back to the house we did the same exact thing we were doing before we left. We sat on the couch, turned on a movie, and watched it in silence as we ate our food. Only thing different was that he was actually watching the movie this time and not just staring off into space. It was starting to get late and I decided that I really couldn’t keep him here any longer even though I wanted to just to make sure he didn’t hurt himself. But I just decided that I would let him go and if I got worried I could just go over to his house and check on him.

“Alright, I’ve kept you here long enough. You can go.” I said standing up and stretching.

“You serious?” He said looking at me shocked. I guess he thought I was never going to let him leave.

“Yeah, go ahead but don’t make me come looking for you because I will” I said walking over to the front door and opening it. He got up off the couch and walked out the door.

“Bye” he said and started walking away. I closed the door and decided I was going to go take a shower and get ready for work tomorrow. I got in the shower wondering if maybe I should just drive by his house just to make sure everything is okay. I decided to just check in the morning on my way to work. I got out the shower, got dressed for bed and went to go double check that I locked everything. As I went to close the blinds I saw someone sitting on my front porch. I went to open the door and I saw it was Kellin he was just sitting there with that blank look on his face. I sat down next to him and didn’t say anything, we just sat there for a while. It was cold. I just got out the shower and my hair was wet.

“I don’t want to be alone.” I heard him mumble. It was the most he had opened up to me since I stopped him from jumping. I got up and headed to the door and opened it.

“Come on.” I said holding the door open. He got up and as he walked passed me I patted him on the back and walked in behind him. I went to the closet and got the blankets he used last night and put them on the couch. “I have work tomorrow so I have to wake up early. I’ll see you in the morning. Okay?” he nodded his head. I turned around and headed to my room.

“Kellin.” He said, stopping me in my tracks.

“What?” I said turning around and looking confused.

“Kellin. My name is Kellin. You never asked me my name.” I had to think back and I realized that I never did ask him his name. Of course I knew it because the lady at the coffee shop said it the day I was following him around but I never asked him.

“Vic.” I said. He smiled and I gave a little smile back.

“Goodnight Vic.” He said, looking at me while unfolding the blanket.

“Goodnight Kellin.” I said then proceeding to head to my room for the night.