Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Walking back to building-one I had with me a new light of hope. The reactions we drew from everyone was still alive inside of me. Alsepth was right. Eva and I improvised a hell of a show for them in the air. This was exactly what I needed, too. Uplifted we actually enjoyed ourselves - based on the impact we had on the students now raving on their way to building five. I look back and see them, their motion sensors going off in cliques. They didn't have to be marched back, instead, they were dismissed like it was three o'clock . . . some walking slowly - trail the larger group of bodies in the middle and I could see a few speed walking back to their bunkers ahead of the rest.

Something about the meeting stuck out to me, from the one occasion I actually spoke. We had already taken our seats by that time and I was replying to one of Alsepth's few open questions. The room was vibrant by then compared to when we first walked in.

"Does anyone here not-know the difference between an indigo child, a child ape, and a human born in the year One?" asked Alsepth.

"The indigo is the most evolved," I replied before anyone could.

"Why, Yes!" Alsepth really enjoyed my answer.

Then, "Indigo children -" said an unexpected voice, coming from a tall kid who stood up, "are born in the present -" he looked back at me before fixing his reading glasses and returning his gaze onto Alsepth, "while - a . . . child ape doesn't have quite the same capacities of thinking as a human person does . . . even one born in the year One - thus - proving the theory of evolution." he said before sitting down again. He was from Yellow I could tell because he sat in the first row with the rest of the Yellow "Mastermind" group.

And well, it got me thinking everyone here was carefully selected so is probably an indigo child, I thought. At least that's what I took from Alsepth's line of questions.

Checking to see how much time they'll probably get of sleep I see it is '9:47' PM . . . that's? What? New York time . . . I don't know. It's one of those modern watches so I think it set itself. . . .

Heading back to building-one, about halfway up to building-two's entrance I look back, glancing at the students one last time and catch a light come on by the entrance of building-three. A single student activated its motion sensors . . . she turns and is about to catch up to the rest but changes her mind and I could tell she drew up the courage to stay. She was waiting for something - obviously someone. She was a young cute faced teen, probably one of the younger survivors and I'm pretty sure she's got freckles. Tall and healthy, though you'd believe me if I told you she was a twelve-year-old with tall parents. Her straight blond hair, dead weight, tied in a ponytail - with military precision.

"Hey Eva," I thought, but she didn't hear it over the huge grin and conversation with Kimberly, who was still amazed at our show, and quite friendly we soon figured out. Looking back at her standing there by herself like that, I wanted to go see what's wrong but instead I stay with the pack . . . whatever it is, I'm most likely not going to do anything about it anyways - I think she knows that.

* * *

Kimberly's opened up a lot with her new-found respect for us. The five of us seemed to be getting along quite well. Clay though, hadn't changed much since this morning. He kept to himself most of the walk back and even at the meeting he didn't say a word that I could recall. I came to understand why shortly after we settled down around the kitchen table.

"He's getting to you..." he declares. Our thrill began dying out, "Look at you - just this morning we were all about to crack down on what's really going on here. And you're falling for his bullshit." Clay spat, striking a nerve in my balance. He had a point.