Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I think Eva makes a good point. I'm on my bed, picking my boogers, staring up at my ceiling. Some people rub their chins when they think. Not me. I really get in there. . . . I am starting to see things differently too. Trying to piece this thing together, I know I've got my finger on it. . . . I stop. Whoa. Accidental pun...

Anyways . . . so Harley was some kind of a badass who sacrificed his spot on these bunkers? For Eva and Benson - who didn't know a thing till the last minute? Which means he kept his affiliation with Alsepth a secret? And then we make it here just in time . . . the big bang comes and two years later we're trapped inside Alsepth's bunkers. Are we supposed to just play along? I mean we have no other choice . . . maybe Harley needed to keep this thing a secret so he could save the planet. If my heart is my compass then today goes to show those kids needed us. This could be what Harley hoped for. It's all too much to escape from.

I hear the buzz from the exit. "Shit." I hear Clay's voice.

Flipping onto my back, I fold my hands over my stomach and close my eyes, "I've got to ask Alsepth some questions tomorrow," I note mentally and go ghost. Leaving my dark room through the walls I cut through the triangle corner of the corridor walls and give chase to Clay - walking towards the elevator. He hits 1 on the button.

* * *

Gasping, Kimberly jolted upon entering building one. A hand up to her chest forces a breath, "What the hell are you doing standing there, Clay?"

"Waiting for you." says Clay as his knees dance in place . . . she worried. "I need you to take me up to Alsepth's room."

"He's probably asleep but we can try." she says, clicking the button to open the elevator doors, and get inside.

They rise to the sixth floor now.

"Sorry for screaming at you, like that, Clay." her second apology today. Didn't quite feel as good as the first though, still tries placing a hand over Clay's elbow. He snatches it out of reach. Her gesture goes unappreciated. The doors open.

"You embarrassed me Kimberly." he said, walking out.

Looking over her shoulder Kimberly knocks on Alsepth's door. She ignores the dial pad, I wonder if she knows the code. Moments later Alsepth swings the door open and turns around back to his desk - oblivious of Clay.

"You lying son of a bitch!" Clay enters behind Kimberly, with the demeanor of a predator cornering a lawyer. Alsepth, stops, turns to see him walking towards him with his hands in his pockets. "What?" Clay frowns sarcastically and steps closer to the taller Alsepth, "Thought we were never going to have this talk, huh?" he points a finger instead of a knife, hysterically in between laughs he says, "You - . . . Oh man . . . think, you're so slick!" putting his finger away he waves a hand now, "think, you could fool everybody!"

Alsepth looked away, nostrils clearly irritated and rubs his eyes with a single hand, turning to his intruder, "Clay, have a seat." he demands, resuming his stride, he walks around his desk. He and Clay take their seats precisely at the same time. Studying Clay with sleepy eyes and statue like stillness, I could feel Clay bubbling in his seat.

"Let me tell you something, Clay," he starts - finally leaning away from him and sitting erect, "I. . . . I'm really sorry. For what I did but I'll have you know - above all - I'm glad you're alive." he said.

Leaning in like he's about to spit in his face, "Alsepth! We went to the same college - I know when you're trying to one up somebody." He sat back studying the effect of his words on Alsepth, and adds, "You're not sorry. You're glad you did it," he informed. Staring into the cold, "I want to know why... for what?"