Chapter 6

Based on the TV show Dance Academy

BEN'S POV:

I'm a bit nervous because today is the day I end it with Rachel.

I walk into the kitchen and I smell bacon and eggs. Ah, yum.

"Morning sleepy head." Rachel says happily as I walk in.

"Rachel.... I thought you had practise in the morning?" I say with a shaky voice.

Why?

I invited Grace over for breakfast... did she know?

"Well, I thought it was unfair that we don't get to spend the morning together," Rachel says as she puts the food on two different plates. "I might be in trouble but... you're worth it Ben."

I put on a fake smile.

Great, as soon as I get the confidence to finally break up with Rachel, she makes me feel awful about it.

"What are you doing standing there? Come sit and eat." Rachel says pointing to a chair.

I nod and sit.

I eat in silence, but I try to text Grace to let her know to not come over right now, but Rachel grabs my phone and complains, "I'm usually not here right now, can't you just enjoy my company?"

My eyes widen. "Of course! Just give me back my phone!"

Before she even thinks of giving it back, she looks at the screen and gives me a very hurt look.

"Grace?"

I gulp. "She..."

"Why is she saying she's on her way?"

I see Rachel's eyes turn watery.

I said the most terrible thing I could. I regret it tons. But I was under pressure, Rachel looked like she was going to go write a Taylor Swift break up song!

"She is like stalking me! She won't leave me alone!"

Her sad look turns into Tinker Bell worth of anger. "That sneaky, evil turd basket!"

I hold in my laughter, because she doesn't swear, so she makes up ridiculous substitute insults. Like frickin' "turd basket"...

I hear a knock on the door, and Rachel's face turns redder than it was before.

She storms to the door before I could stop her.

"Leave Ben ALONE!" Rachel screams.

"Excuse me?" Grace says preparing for the future cat fight.

I run over and say, "Okay, guys let's not do this okay? Rachel it's fine. I promise."

Rachel snorts and grabs my arms trying to pull me out of the doorway.

"Ben, are you just gonna let this happen?" Grace asks pointing her index finger with an eyebrow up.

I try to say something but nothing but gibberish comes out.

"Fine." Grace says angrily walking off.

"GRACE WAIT!" I yell trying to lure her back to me.

I've made the biggest mistake.

GRACE'S POV:

Ben made his choice. I'm not going to act or be the victim.

So, I went back to Lucy's, and waited for the phone to ring (from the head Austin Ballet manager).

To be honest, I kind of was waiting for Ben to call too. Whatever...

"Grace?" Lucy says coming into my room slowly. I put my head up so she would know I was listening. "The head manager would like to talk to you."

I don't know why he wouldn't just call me, but if he says no at least I could change his mind. I dunno...

When we finally got to the Austin Ballet, I ran up the stairs to his office.

"Grace. Sit down please." He says.

I do as he says.

"Grace, your dance was beautifully done. Your background is not the best though..."

I nod in agreement, unfortunately.

"But, I feel like you didn't tell me the truth what you feel about dance. I got no passion out of that speech."

I take a deep breath. "Could I, change your mind?"

The manager leans back into his chair. "Enlighten me."

"I honestly think I'm scared of that side of me. The side with commitment. Passion. I am like my mother. We're both unpredictable. Ballet... makes me feel stable. I know what step comes next, where I am meant to be. It's something that makes me feel safe. And I want the whole world to see it."

The manager smiles. "Thank you Ms. Whitney. That was very heart filled."

I nod my head super fast hoping he would hurry up and get to the point. "Anymore things to say?"

He hesitates. "You start in the core next week."

I smile ear to ear. "Thank you so much!"

"I have a lunch Ms. Whitney..."

"Oh, um... I'll go... Thank you again!"

The manager nods again as he get his (movie classic) black case.

I run out to find Lucy. She was teaching a class, so I opened the door and said, "May I speak to you?"

Lucy nods and says to her class, "Everyone keep going. I'll only be gone a moment."

She walks out with me.

"What is it Grace?"

I smile. "The head manager of the Austin Ballet is letting me start in the core next week!"

Lucy grins and hugs me. I actually hug her back this time. "Oh, Grace this is fantastic!"

Afterwards, we went back to Lucy's house, are dinner and dessert (Marcus insisted since I got into the core).

The whole day I was so tempted to text Ben about my news, but he hasn't talked to me since this morning.

I went to sleep sadly because of Ben. No. This is a good day. I'm not going to let him ruin it.

RACHEL'S POV:

I can feel Ben slipping away.

But I'm not going to let that happen.

This began ever since Grace moved to Texas.

So, I have to hurt her AND trap him.

Hit two birds with one stone.

I am going to ask Ben to marry me.

To be continued...