Almost Girlfriend (Part 2)

You decided not to google Michael after you met him, sure you could know every fact about him, but then what's the point of going out on a date? You wanted to get to know him. You picked out a striped sweater dress that you only wore on important days.(it was your favorite, and you didn't want it to wear out.) You started putting on your makeup, foundation, dramatic eye shadow, lots of eyeliner, lipstick, blush, the whole ten yards, and then you stopped. Yeah, Michael was famous, but if you wanted to get to know the real him, he probably wanted to get to know the real you too. So you wiped off the makeup you had put on, and just put on your usual foundation, eyeliner, and lipstick. And then you cancelled your fancy dinner reservations, and decided to do something much more you.

You met Michael at a small pizzeria that an old family friend owned, they were never open on Tuesday nights, so they let the two of you hang out in the restaurant that night. You had had a part time job there when you were younger so you knew how to make the pizzas and do everything. When you took him inside he smiled, "how did you know pizza was my favorite?" You smiled back at him and giggled, "oh come on, who doesn't love pizza?"

The two of you went to the back and rolled out the dough. The two of you decorated your pizzas and you both had the same dorky idea, to decorate the pizza as the other person. After you put them in the oven you sat down on the stools placed at the counter. And then you had a conversation, the one that "feels like it lasts forever." He stared in your eyes and wanted nothing more than to know everything about you. "So, what do you like about this city?" Nobody ever asked you this, but you already knew your answer.

You stared into his gorgeous green eyes and spoke with passion, "it's a small city, so we don't have a lot of problems around here, but we're next to a big city, which is amazing."

He placed his hand on yours, "oh yeah? Why's that?"

You were about to answer but your phone went off, "oh, pizzas are done!"

You pulled them out of the oven and set them down at a small booth for the two of you. You pulled out two bottles of special soda that you could only get at the small candy store downtown, "do you like orange soda?"

Michael smiled and opened both bottles, "love it."

As the two of you ate he continued your conversation, "so you never told me why you think it's so amazing to live here."

You took a gulp of soda and grinned, "well, it's just that, if I want some time to just walk around and be by myself, I can sit at the park and just feel the breeze. But, if I want to be around people, and never have to know them, I can go to a concert downtown, or see one of the parades they have every other week, or go to the museum, I can just be another tourist, I can meet new people from all over, I can get to know them, and then I'll never see them again. With all of the events, and concerts, and tourists, it's like being in a new city every week, but it still feels like home. It's unlike any other city."

Michael pondered this for a moment and then lightly chuckled, "that sounds amazing. I wish I could experience something like that."

"But isn't it amazing to travel? I mean, aren't you enjoying touring?"

He shrugged and took a swig of orange soda, "I love performing, but I just miss home y'know? I miss having something that feels like home. Honestly, this has been one of the few times where I've felt comfortable, and happy, it feels kind of like home."

You held his hand, "I'm glad you like it. That's why I love this city, it feels like home to everyone, it doesn't matter where you're from, it somehow always feels like home."

Michael gave you a look that could only be described as love, and he smiled, "you make it feel like home" and he leaned in and kissed you.

When the two of you finished eating and cleaned up, you walked out holding hands, "so what are the chances I can see you again tomorrow night, I would love to see more of your city."

You kissed him again and smiled, "tomorrow at 6, I know a great karaoke place downtown."

You waited until he drove off and then locked up and went to your car. Later that night you got a text from your best friend.

Something you want to tell me y/n?

You figured someone had told him about your date.

You mean my date with a really sweet, cute, amazing guy?

He texted you back quickly.

I mean your date with a guy who has a girlfriend.

And then you got his picture message, it was a picture of you and Michael kissing outside the pizzeria, and next to it was another picture of him holding hands with a girl only days before, apparently they had been dating for a few months. You were angry, and hurt, you had told him so much about you. You checked every article you could find, hoping to find something that would tell you it wasn't true, but it was. You forwarded the picture to Michael and said the only thing you could think of.

My city will NEVER be your home.