2

I slowly stir to the sound of singing birds and a Warmness on my skin. My eyes open, and I see beams of bright light shining through my window.

I remember that I fell asleep on the ground, and get up before dusting myself off, and going downstairs. It's 7 O'clock so my 'parents' should be gone by now. I head into the kitchen and go to the fridge. As usual, it's empty. I don't know why I expected that maybe this time it would be different.

"What are you doing out of your room?"

I freeze up. It's as if I've turned into ice and can't move. Every bone in my body goes still.

"I asked you a question."

I turn around and see my 'dad'  looking at me like I've suddenly turned into a unicorn. I try to talk, but my mouth goes dry.

"I said, what are you doing out of bed?!" He asks.

And there I am. Caught like a deer in headlights. Caught off guard, forced to surrender to an extremely unexpected death.

As Tyler walks closer, I slowly inch backwards. Then I turn, and run.

I run out of the house I live in, down the cracked pavement and through the overgrown bushes until finally, I get to a brown brick house. I knock, and the door opens immediately.

"Abigail! What are you doing here?" Mrs. Davison asks, a worried expression on his face.

"I just needed to get away." I say.

"well come on in then!" She opens the door wider and steps back. I thank her as I sit down on the couch.

She sits on the couch opposite me.     "So, tell me."

"I don't want to-"

"Oh no. You are telling me everything Abigail. You can trust me."she looks at me, waiting.

I sigh. "Okay, well, you know how my step parents/ guardians or whatever you want to call them are loopy?"

"Yes," she says, taking her mug from the coffee table and bringing it up to her lips.

"Well, after they burnt your home down, as if that wasn't enough they acted as if it never happened." I let out an annoyed sigh. "And after that they kept telling me that I don't have a soulmate. I know I have a soulmate. He's out there. Somewhere."

"Oh honey. If you want, I could let you stay the night."

I nod. "Would that be okay?"

"Of course sweetie." Mrs. Davison smiles before standing up and going into the kitchen.

"Make yourself at home!" She calls.