Chapter 1: A Mighty Beginning

Minecraft

"Ohhh Jake-y-boy, come down here. I baked cake!!!!" yelled Grandma Smores in a majestic opera voice.
"How many times do I have to tell you, for Notch's sake, just call me Jake!" replied Jake while he ran down the stairs of his Grandmother's house in the Village.
Yes, it was just an ordinary Minecraft day for everybody. The chickens were running about on the gravel paths while the local villagers were trading emeralds and socializing with the iron golems.
"My goodness, Jake please watch what you say. Would you actually like some cake?" Jake nodded and sat down with a slice in hand. "Oh and dear, Emily from next door wants to talk to you," Grandma said while Jake devoured the cake in giant slices.

"Oh. Well, I'll go visit her after I get my stuff. Awesome job with the cake Grandma. You should go trade your cake for some emeralds. You would be rich with them!!" answered Jake.
"Oh no... if I were to trade my cakes, the villagers would rip me off thinking I'm an old helpless grandmother. Besides, they're for you and you only, dear."
Looking up from Grandma's delicious cake, he looked across the table at the headlines on the Redstone Update Block.
"It truly is a shame that those rebels keep on raiding all those villages..." said Grandma with a tinge of sadness, who was stirring a bowl of cake mix by the counter.
"Don't worry Grandma!" said Jake, finishing his cake. "I bet the glorious leader NOTCH will defeat the rebels!"
Jake's grandmother said nothing for a while. Then she turned back to her cake mix. "Why don't you go to Emily's now, Jake-y boy?" she said after the long pause.
Finishing the cake, Jake quickly ran up the wooden stairs of the house with a clatter. As he neared the top, he turned left toward his room where he kept all of his belongings. Jake went in and opened his chest. Inside, he took out his stone sword, five emeralds and two cookies; one for himself and one for Emily. Jake closed the chest with a "creak" and flew down the stairs.
Man I've got to oil that chest. It makes such a loud sound, thought Jake.
" K'ay Grandma, I'm going out to Emily's!" shouted Jake as he opened the door.
The minute Jake stepped out of the house, he was greeted with a whole lot of Emily in his face.
"Oh hey Emily! I was just about to come and visit you. Grandma said there was something you wanted to tell me. Oh and this cookie is for you..." blustered Jake while mildly blushing.
"Oh, that's kind of you Jake..." replied Emily in turn blushing as well, "Oh yeah, I was um hoping to er ask you this for a long time but uh I just never got to it. Jake uh, do you maybe want to go on an adventure with me in the forest?"
"WHAT??? Oh uh what kind of adventure are we talking about? Are we talking about a small one or one where we're going to need pickaxes and shovels?" asked Jake. He wasn't very sure about an adventure because adventures were often very difficult. Only brave Minecraftians went on them and it meant that the person was creating a new life. Jake was only 16.
" Um, I was hoping to bring along some pickaxes..." replied Emily, "But if you aren't into it then it's fine..."
"I would love to but I have to first ask my Grandma," said Jake, " I should be able to though. But if we go, let's make sure to bring some cake!"