Chapter Eight: Get Into the Groove

Get Into the Groove

I'll freely admit, I'm the worst at this one. But the fact is, the most immediate and practical thing one can do to feel better is get one's lazy ass off the couch and move. Exercise of any sort releases Ziptiagraozopamine into your bloodstream. Ok, I just made that up I don't really know what I'm talking about. But I know what it feels like. And so do you. Every time I go to a yoga class it takes everything I have to get there, but once I've done it I'm so glad. And I feel better. And feeling better is what it's all about.

Fucking move your body.

But there's another less often mentioned element here. Happiness researchers call it "flow." I've had this damn Madonna song stuck in my head all day so we are going to call it "getting into the groove." The human brain does this thing when we are in the middle of an activity and not complaining about it. We get into "the zone." We've all done it. Time seems to stop for a while as we are focused on something, and a strange sense of enjoyment takes over. It can happen during physical exercise. For some it can happen while cleaning the house. Or playing the piano. Getting into the zone on a regular basis ups your sense of wellbeing dramatically. So take Madonna's advice and Vogue. Wait, wrong song. Don't Vogue. You'll look ridiculous.

Speaking of looking ridiculous, research shows that engaging in physical activity that is combined with some sense of silliness slam dunks your brain into a happy buzz. So start a flash mob group. Take a break dancing class. Or hell, walk down the street vogueing.

You go, girl.

Activity for A**holes #42

More damn lists, I know. For me writing stuff down helps birth the thought.

Make a list of what gets you in the zone.

Maybe you can't think of a single damn thing. In which case, imagine. It doesn't need to be anything spectacular. Masturbation doesn't count.

House cleaning? Sudoku? Stairmaster? Speed walking in the mall? Get in the zone at two to three times a week.

***

"Anything you must intellectualize yourself out of should be done." Enoch Porch