Chapter One

"There are at least thirty people in that building, some of which are children. If we don't do this, those people in there - people with families - will most certainly die. We have to save them, otherwise what's the point in us?"

"I can save about twenty of them before the building collapses, but the other ten... we just can't save them in time!" Bree replied, the look of guilt plastered on her face. She still felt bad about the fight she had with Chase a few hours before, even though she didn't do anything wrong in the first place. Chase was just in one of those moods.

"We have to try".

"No! What if something happens to one of us? There's no point in us getting killed as well-"

A woman's scream interrupted her pleads. There were multiple shrieks; men and women, people calling for their children, all of which were frantically trying to find a way out of their fiery doom.

Chase winced at the horrifying sounds. He had to do something, with or without Adam or Bree's help. "Better to go down a hero rather than a coward".

"Chase! What the hell's going on?" Mr Davenport's voice rang through the boys earpiece.

"Bree's questioning my orders," he responded, glaring at his sister.

"Well, figure something out quickly. People are gonna die!"

"I know".

Mr Davenport looked down at his youngest bionic son, his heart heavy and his face sunken with grief. It was him who had told Chase to go into that burning building in the first place, and now he had to pay the price for his orders. He watched the nurses fuss over the machines, turning knobs and re-filling his sons drip bag. He had an urge to punch those machines, rip all the wires away from his son and watch Chase wake up. But he knew that was never going to happen; those machines were the only thing keeping the boy alive.

Bree watched with fright as her younger brother ran into the burning apartment block.

"Bree, you're seriously not considering going in there?" Adam asked, concerned for his family's safety.

"He's our brother, Adam. I have to stop him from killing himself!"

"Bree -". Adam reluctantly stared as his sister sped into the building after Chase, leaving him alone to contemplate the choices for his next course action. No way was he going in there after them, that's just a death wish.

Mr Davenport wished that Chase would wake up, for all of their sakes. The whole family was distraught. All of them seemed to blame themselves for the accident. The house was really quiet without him; all the light and fun seemed to have died out with him. Chase was the reason that their home felt like home, they just weren't a family without him.

"There's fire everywhere!" Chase said to no one in particular.

"Chase, where are you?" Bree voice screamed through the earpiece.

"The ground floor, trying to stabilise the building. What are you two doing?"

"Getting people on the top floors out of the building. Adam's helping people outside".

Chase checked his scanner. There were five people left in the building, two of which were him and Bree.

"Bree!" He shouted. "There's three left: all of them are on the floor below you -".