Chapter Three

Bree paced around the living room, biting her fingernail. She'd done this so many times before, her thumb nail had grown immensely shorter than all her other perfectly manicured nails - biting that particular nail had become a bit of a habit after the accident

The accident. 

She had no idea why she still couldn't bring herself to say what it actually was. 

The accident - her brothers death. 

Even though it happened so long ago she could remember everything about his death so clearly, as if it'd only happened a few hours ago. 

She looked up, watching as the building started collapsing in on itself. She'd done what Chase had asked of her; she had run faster than ever, trying to get those civilians to safety, leaving him there. But now, she regretted that decision more than ever. 

"Chase!?" She cried into her ear piece. 

Only static came across. 

"No..." she breathed. 

Before anyone could stop her, she sped back into the apartment block, oblivious to the fire closing in around her. She cursed as a stray flame came into contact with her arm, the heat causing her suit to bubble and her skin to burn. She ignored the pain, her main focus was finding her brother. She looked around, until her gaze rested on a collapsed figure. She felt like puking, seeing Chase's skin raw and the splintered wood around him. She took a deep breath and grabbed her brother, wincing as she knew she was causing him pain by touching his burnt flesh. Bree quickly ran out of the building before it completely gave way and disintegrated into a pile of burnt rubble. 

"Bree!" She heard Adam scream as she carefully placed Chase's limp body on the ground in front of her. 

Adam bent over and grabbed Chases's wrist, searching for a pulse. 

"He still has one but it's faint... really faint". 

"Chase?"

Bree shook him, hoping he would wake up, that he was just in a deep sleep, that this wasn't real... 

"Bree". 

Adam put a hand on her shoulder, but she didn't stop. 

"Bree!"

She turned to face him, tears streaming down the side of her face. 

"There's no point in shaking him! If he is still alive then we need to get him to a hospital, and quick". 

Bree sniffed, taking in a shaky breath. "This is all my fault," she muttered, picking up her brother again and sped him to the nearest hospital. 

Bree was shaken out of her thoughts at the sound of the door as it creaked open. She turned to face whoever was entering, forcing a smile as Leo and Mr Davenport stepped into the living room. 

"Leo!" She said, somewhat relieved, running over and embracing him with a tight hug. "I had no idea where you guys went! I was starting to think that Douglas had captured you again or something".

"Honestly Bree," Leo said, shrugging her arms off. "You need to stop worrying about us! We can take care of ourselves. Besides, Douglas would be begging for mercy if he ever picked a fight with this hunk of muscle". 

Bree laughed, rolling her eyes at her step-brothers stupid idea of reality. It was only then that she notice a third man standing awkwardly in the doorway. 

"Who're you?" She asked the older man, despite him looking quite young. 

The man rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Um," he started. "I'm Gavin, Gavin Fowler"

For some reason he sounded unsure of his own identity, but Bree shook the thought off. Some people just don't have the luxury of being confident around new people, let alone girls. 

"Gavin's my intern," Mr Davenport explained. "After Chase died I've been finding it really hard to work by myself in the lab, so I decided to get some new help". 

Bree nodded slowly, feeling a tear prick at her eye. Only four months Chase had been gone and Mr Davenport had already found someone to replace him. Typical. She looked Gavin up and down. 

"Well," she said, addressing the intern. "If you start to get bored from hanging around Mr Davenport all day and having to listen to his rants about how amazing he is, feel free to give me a shout". 

Gavin smiled, looking down at his shoes. 

God he has a great smile, Bree thought. 

Leo nodded, clearing his throat. 

"Well, Gavin. Ready to come see the lab?" 

"Uh, yeah. I'd love to," Gavin replied, a sense of forced enthusiasm trailed in his voice. 

Mr Davenport grinned, leading the way down to the lab. 

Bree watch the intern intently as he tripped over his own feet every so often. There was something about him, something she couldn't quiet put her finger on. There was a feeling of familiarity every time she looked at his perfect face, but she'd never seen the guy before. 

She sighed, smiling at the thought of him working here. 

"Oh, Mr Fowler, you'll soon be the death of me". 

____________________________________________________________________________________

So a somewhat short chapter today, so sorry about that!

What do you guys think of Bree slowly falling for Chase? I am intending for there to be a bit of Brase in this so hopefully it'll be good enough for you guys to enjoy :) 

Thanks so much for reading!! :D

(I love using this book as an excuse to download gifs of Grant Gustin and Billy Unger 

(And just so you guys know, the inspiration for the name of Chase's new identity came from when I was watching Achievement Hunters on Youtube and was laughing at Gavin Free)