Chapter Thirteen

Conveniently, the CCPD wasn't too far away from STAR Labs, so Joe and I were able to walk there. I kept my head down, not wanting to draw attention to myself. I also didn't want to end up having any awkward conversations with Joe. I could see that he was already heartbroken, I didn't want to cause him any more pain. He'd been through enough as it was. 

I thought back to when I passed out, which seemed to be a reoccurring experience for me over the past few weeks. Except, this time it had been different. The feeling that those haunting images left me with seemed almost too real to be just another nightmare. It was as if I had been there in person, looking around the creepy building. The thump of my heart, the pain as I hit my back against the wall, the fear that was evident as it coursed through every cell of my body... It was too real to be just a dream. I strained, trying to remember the last thing I saw before waking up. I knew it was an important piece of information, something that could help me find whatever it was my brain was telling me to search for. I just didn't know what to look for or why I needed it. 

We continued walking until we found ourselves outside a grand, elegant, cream coloured building. Although I had never been here before, a sense of recognition washed through me, informing me that we had arrived at the Central City Police Department.  

Out of instinct, I began to climb the staircase up to the building's entrance, running up the stairs two at a time. I'd made it up only a third of the flight before I felt a tug on the back of my shirt, pulling me back down the staircase. I turned to face Joe with an annoyed expression etched on my face. 

"What?" I asked, irritated.  "I thought you wanted me here." 

He glanced up at the building for a moment and shook his head slightly. 

"Look," he started, his voice cracking. "I do want you up there. It's just...".

"What?"

He looked down at the floor. "My daughter."

"Iris? What about her?" 

He looked up again, a startled expression across his face. "How do you know her name?" 

"I-" I started before stopping myself. I honestly had no idea, the name just flew out of my mouth. "Does it matter?" 

Joe shrugged. "Probably not. Anyway, Chase, I need you to promise me something." 

"Anything," I said sincerely, folding my arms. 

"Don't tell Iris who you really are. It'd break her heart and I don't want to put her through that. I'm sure Barry wouldn't want that either." 

I froze slightly. "Is she going to be in there?" 

"I dunno. She doesn't work here, but she often comes to visit during her breaks. I'm just telling you this as a precaution." 

I nodded. "Fair enough. Don't worry, I won't tell her. Scout's honour." 

Joe smiled sadly before turning and making his way up the stairs, adding "and keep your head down!" He gestured for me to follow. 

I did. 

***

After a somewhat depressing elevator ride up to the second floor of the police department, I let out a sigh of relief as the doors slowly chimed open. However, that feeling was soon replaced by anxiety as soon as they opened, revealing a room full of people. It wasn't until hen did I realise how nervous I actually was, pretending to be someone I'm not. I tried telling myself not to worry, that I'd convinced others before. Only, playing Gavin was completely different. He was a made up persona, one that no one had encountered before. Being Barry Allen would be a lot harder. These people had known him, had respected him, for God knows how long. They knew how he spoke, how he acted. One false move on my part and everyone would know that there's something wrong.