Chapter Eight - What's In a Name

Around mid-day, hundreds of citizens gathered to witness the execution of the man who attempted to kill the king. Y/n, staying true to her word, was absent at the event. Atem himself was required to be there, as he was the pharaoh and the one who signaled to the executioner. The young king's eyes swept over the crowd for the upteenth time. He knew she wasn't there, she had told him so. And why would she lie to him? He didn't know why he wanted her to be there anyway. He himself wasn't exactly ecstatic to be present. Perhaps he just didn't like being in the presence of his would-be murderer without her. He had nothing to worry about, though. Kadah was chained, guarded, and surrounded by a good amount of the city's population. The man himself wasn't exactly a threat either, petite, weak, and simple minded. So why did he feel such unease?

Atem shook his head to rid those thoughts. He had a job to do. He stepped forth and the crowd fell into a hush. The young king raised his arm. The next few seconds were tense with apprehension. He gave his wrist a flick and the executioner nodded. The large man raised his blade. Kadah looked the king in the eyes. The last thing Atem saw in them were fear and utter remorse, before the deadly blade swung down, decapitating the man with ease. The crowd fell into gasp and cheer. Atem closed his eyes and let out a weighted breath. Turning, he descended the platform and walked up to his horse. Jounou, understanding the king's wish to leave, hopped onto his own horse and escorted him back to the palace.

As they made their way back, Y/n's words rang loudly in his head. 'This was just the beginning. I believe this is much bigger than we could imagine.' Could this be the war Siamun had warned him about? Is this the start of something that would tear the very country of Egypt apart? Atem felt his blood run cold. If this attempt was merely a warning, he would have to be particularly vigilant from then on. Arriving at the entrance of the palace, Jounou and Atem walked in to find Y/n waiting. She seemed surprised for some reason.

"Are you the only one with him?" she asked the head guard. Jounou nodded.

"Yes, your greatness." The goddess shook her head, bitterness marring her beautiful features. She looked at Atem.

"From now on, whenever you go anywhere, I want you escorted by at least two guards, four if you leave the palace grounds." Atem would be lying if he said he wasn't shocked. Sure, he knew they would have to be on the lookout, but four guards? However, the look on his protector's face said she wasn't taking no for an answer. Atem nodded and she turned to Jounou, who bowed.

"Understood, you greatness. I will see to it." Y/n nodded and turned to leave the room. As she retreated up the stairs, Atem could not help but watch her ascend the stone steps. Her steps were elegant, yet at the same time a death signal to whomever defied her. Her dark blue cape, which had been gifted to her during her celebration, billowed dramatically behind her. The rippling dark blue fabric resembled the current of the Nile. Atem noted how fitting the comparison was. Like the river of life, his protector was beautiful and graceful. However, just like the river's waters, she could turn wild and deadly with little warning. His protector. It was then the young king realized something. He had yet to learn the name of the being who guarded his very life.

Y/n remained in deep thought as she made her way through the grand palace. It frustrated how little she had to go on. It could be anyone! There are many who wish to see the end of the king. 'The real question is if it's another country wanting to take control of Egypt's land or a deadly coup residing within...' Y/n found herself in the library, amongst hundreds of scrolls. Her body had been on autopilot whilst she was thinking. 'Well, this is a good place to start. Perhaps I can find some evidence of possible enemies...' She really hoped it was an outside force behind it all. Inside rebellion meant it was close, a lie camouflaged amongst a peaceful people, hiding right under their nose.