Chapter Nine: Taken Over

• Dedicated to Miranda Smith Toomer

Sophie

By the time I finally brought up the courage to call Peter, it was already dark out and my parents were asleep.

(Yes, I wasted the whole day arguing with myself on weather or not I should call him.)

Winnie stayed in the bedroom while I locked myself in the privacy of our master bathroom. As I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor, sitting next to the tub, I contemplated what I would say to him. Then after a few long minutes, I reluctantly dialed his number and waited, quivering at every ring.

"Sophie?" Peter's voice rained through the phone and into my head, making me shiver a bit.

"H-hey Peter..." I replied, sounding a little sickly. 

I knew he could hear the strain in my voice. "Sophie, are you alright?"

I wasn't. But I lied. "Yeah. I'm_ I'm fine. Really."

"Sophie.." I wasn't fooling him, or even myself. Not really sure who I'm lying too at this point.

"I'm fine." I croaked. Shit, no way of trying to get out of this now.

"Sophie, I think you should come over. Theres something I want to show you."

Comming from a guy that could mean one of a million things. But in a text he said he could prove he didn't do anything, and I wanted to know how on earth he could do that. "O-okay. I'll be there in a minute.." I was still uncomfortable, and I think he could tell.

"I really am sorry I made you think I saw something. I really didn't. Please believe me Sophie."

I didn't trust myself to speak. "I... I can't. Not yet... See you in a bit." I then hung up, quietly letting my fear, anger and confusion spill out all over my face.

I asked Winnie to stay home, I wanted to do this alone. She said she understood and that she'd kill me if I didn't come back. I love Winnie, she always knows just what to say.

-I started to calm down when I backed out of the driveway, and got control of myself as I drove away. But just as I was about to pull out of the neighborhood, a large dark figure ran in front of me. I slammed on the breaks, put the truck in park and quickly got out.

"What the hell?!" I said aloud, seeing Ren laying down in front of the truck, completely unharmed thankfully.

"Oh hey Babe." He said, ever so cheery. And as if nothing had happened, he stood up and dusted off his pants.

"What are you doing running at this time of night?!"

"Its cool out at this time." He smiled. "So where you headed?"

Wow was I confused. "I- um, Peter's house." Ren then lost his happy giddy face and looked at me sternly. "What..?"

"Why him?" Man, Ren's serious voice was scarey... But why did he care if I went to see Peter?

"...Why does it matter?"

He then looked away. "It doesn't I guess." His attitude changed to happy again. Well at least happier. "Mind if I come with?"

"Um, actually, I wanted to talk to him about something kinda... personal." That really was the best and only way to explain something like this. But Ren just hopped into my truck, acting like I just told him 'Yeah sure Renny, come on'- but did I say that? No. I went back to the drivers side and got in as well, not moving the vehicle though. "Ren, I would really appreciate it if you-"

"I don't want you alone with him." He cut me off from my sentance and caught me off my guard. "He's dangerous Sophie." He looked at me again, this time with concern.