six

[picture attached is ashton in this story]

"okay, you keep smiling at your phone. the only people that you text are sitting right next to you so what are you doing?"

michael's head quickly shot up as he looked at his group of friends, who were all staring at him. he locked his phone and tucked it into his pocket, shaking his head. "n-nothing."

niall narrowed his eyes. "you do realize that everyone here knows when you're lying."

"i-i'm not texting anyone."

harry leaned forward so he could peer past louis. "we never said anything about texting."

michael's face heated up and he shook his head. "j-just someone i met at- at the coffee shop."

jaylon made an 'ooo' sound, reaching across the table to grab michael's hand. "mikey's got a crush?"

he shrugged, playing with jaylon's fingers. ashton next to him ran his hands through michael's hair, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "its okay, mikey, we won't pressure you to tell us." (He gave a pointed look to louis and niall who were on the edge of their seats with curiosity and nosiness.) He leaned in to whisper in michael's ear. "i want details later though."

michael panicked slightly, because they cannot find out who he's texting, they'll hate him even more and that's the opposite of what he wants them to do.

his phone vibrates so as soon as his friends are in their conversation again, michael pulls out his phone.

from: luke hemmo (luke put his name in.)

this class sucks balls

michael couldn't help but giggle, quickly covering it up when louis looked over at him. he felt daring, typing his reply.

to: luke hemmo

i'm surprised you're even in class. :p

he bit his lip, letting his thumb hover before quickly pressing send. no going back now.

he set his phone down on the table face down and gently shushed his friends who were growing loud. they were all in the library, today was friday and on friday's their last hour of class is study hall so they decided to set up camp in the library. ashton and niall were playing finger football, jaylon was annoying niall so he'd mess up, and louis and harry were sharing a seat -like usual- and watching it all unfold.

michael, unlike the others, was actually using study hall to his advantage. his chemistry book was open in front of him and he was jotting down notes on the section he was reading. but today was slightly different than other days, because he was getting frequently distracted by his new found friend, who had just responded.

from: luke hemmo

well aren't you cheeky today

michael bit his lip, not knowing whether luke liked that or not. before he could type an apology, luke sent another message that had a grin pulling at his lips.

from: luke hemmo

i like it

***

"i don't want you to go." michael confessed, his eyes on the ground.

ashton frowned, tilting his head up and wrapping an arm around his waist. "i don't wanna go either babe, but you know how my mom gets about visiting my grandma. it's only a week, and i'll be back before your birthday. and we can spend the entire day together, all of us."

it was that horrid time again, the time where every other month ashton goes to visit his grandmother for a week, leaving michael. yes, he has jaylon, niall, louis, and harry -and now ross- but ashton is the one that's always by his side. no offense to the others, but they just don't get michael like ashton does.

"okay." michael whispered, wrapping his arms around ashton's neck and hugging him. ashton sighed, hugging michael back slightly tighter because he hates leaving michael like this. heaven knows his mother won't take care of him. niall can't even be responsible for himself, jaylon doesn't respond to calls and texts half the time, along with showing up for school, and louis and harry can't look away from each other long enough to help him. he loves their friends, but they are not responsible whatsoever.

so, ashton was forced to go to his last resort, ross. he may not be as close with him, but ross is level-headed and can help michael, plus michael seems to be comfortable with the bright blonde now. he had given ross an hour long talk about what he needs to know and do, and he feels -almost- comfortable with leaving michael. but let's face it, he'll never be 100% comfortable with it.

ashton pulled away from michael, gently kissing his forehead before whispering one last farewell and exiting michael's house, leaving him alone. michael stood there for a few minutes, not knowing what to do with himself until his phone vibrated with a text. 

he pulled it out, and his heartbeat picked up at the message.

from: luke hemmo

do you want to go see a movie?

[question: should i add halsey? :) ]