CHAPTER-2 Her Hair.

Chapter-2 Her Hair...

"Do you think she'll cry?" Liz asked, we both were standing behind mom, who was standing beside Alice. Both of Alice's hands were clutching the side of her shirt's bottom very tightly and her head was following Arthur's every move -as he shuffled some stuff in the back of his car.

"Maybe she will, she seems quite fragile," I whispered and Lizzi she nodded.

Arthur came back from the car with a brown leather bag in his hand and stopped in front of mom, handing it to her with a nod, which she returned. I frowned and looked at Liz but she just shrugged and looked back at them. Arthur finally looked back at Alice and said, "So I guess it's a goodbye then."

As expected she didn't reply.

Arthur cleared his throat and continued, "You are a very good girl Alice, and I am proud to call you my granddaughter. You are a big girl now sweetie, take care of yourself -okay?" she nodded her head slowly as if saying yes but still didn't say anything and now I was beginning to believe that Liz was right about her being mute.

"Don't trouble Rose much, she's a good lady, you can trust her. She was very close to your mother and my daughter had a good insight about a person's character. Your mother trusted her." He took a deep breath and traced a finger under his eye as if willing his tears to stop. "Goodbye sweetie, I hope to see you soon and I promise the next time you'll see me with your dad!" with that said he looked at me and nodded with a grateful smile and I nodded back , he then looked at Lizzi and smiled, Lizzi waved him bye. He finally looked at mom who was sniffing but trying to hide it and gave her side hug while whispering 'thank you' in her ear. He gave Alice one last look and moved out the door towards his car.

He was just halfway towards his car when Alice suddenly ran towards him, which alarmed mom and she also started moving towards the door but Liz grabbed her arm and stopped her "Don't mom, just wait!" mom hesitated, but nodded and looked back at the pair in front of us.

Alice was standing behind Arthur and her hand was on Arthur's shoulder, Arthur just stood there frozen with his back towards Alice, after a moment, he turned around and looked at Alice. Her back was towards me so I couldn't see her expressions but Arthur looked totally dumbstruck. Alice slowly lifted both her hands from her sides and brought them to her ears and held them.

Sorry!! She was saying sorry to Arthur!

"Yep, she's apologizing -but why?" Liz asked.

Alice brought her hands back to her sides and hung her head low, looking down as if she was ashamed of something and once again her hands were clutching the sides of her shirt very tightly.

"But you did nothing wrong, Alice!" Arthur said with a confused, pained voice "It is my fault that I didn't find you earlier! Don't you ever dare blame yourself for that, moreover if anyone should be sorry it should be your father," At this Alice looked up and shook her head in a way of saying 'No'? "No matter how much you deny it, Alice, it wouldn't change my judgment." Arthur was almost shouting -making Alice flinch taking two steps back away from him. Arthur took a deep breath as if trying to calm himself, "I'm sorry Alice, but I can't help myself. That man took my daughter away from me and kept me away from my granddaughter for fifteen years and you want me to forgive him, just like that then -no...that is just not happening, he has got some explaining to do and he better has good reasons when he meets me." He sighed, looking past Alice towards us and we looked away -looking anywhere but not towards them acting as if we weren't so keenly listening to their conversation.

"Go back Alice, they are waiting for you. You know I love you, right?" Arthur asked. Alice also turned and looked at us and we all once again looked away but just for a few seconds, as we soon looked back at them and watched as Alice took two more steps towards Arthur nearing him, she then stood on her toes and brought her mouth near his ear and whispered something.