Chapter 4: All Angels Believe in God

My stepmother Kiera slammed the door behind me once I stepped in my house.

"Welcome home!"

The expression that usually consisted of a wicked smile and scary eyes gave me a bad taste in my mouth. She wore another long silk robe and had applied too much makeup on her face.

It was rare to see her back in town so soon. I would rather not deal with such a troublesome woman after a tiring day though. I ignored her desperate attempt to grab attention by walking off in the other direction.

"Ignoring me now?" she said darkly after a snicker. "What an awful child. You think you can continue this game forever?"

I stopped in my tracks before turning my head towards her. With my dullest expression and voice I gave her a befitting response. "You think 'you' can continue this forever? It will only be a few more years until 'that man' is tired of you. Seeing as though he is never by your side, maybe he already is?"

Her face cringed a little.

"What a scary kid. You don't need to tell me that I am unwanted," she said as she circled around the living room with her half full wineglass. "I only came to see you because your grandfather insisted that I come and check on you. Honestly, if it were not for his orders, I would not even be standing here. I won't tell you to like me because I feel the same way... I hate you! I hate, hate you!"

"What a foul mouth... To go all the way to tell me you hate me. You would almost seem somewhat pitiful to my eyes since you are conversing with someone you detest. Are you that lonely without that old man to comfort you?"

Her face turned bright red from anger.

She threw one of the larger pillows at me when she stood up in her fit of anger. I quickly dodged. The pillow caused one family picture on the dresser from when Kiera joined the family fell to the ground. I returned the fallen new family picture to the dresser, facing down.

"Shut your dirty mouth!"

"You missed... Care to try again? Your new manicure could get ruined though."

"Disrespectful little girl! Have it your way! You can be as indifferent as you ever so want..."

I ignored her as I walked up the stairs to my room. My disdain towards her is only justified for the amount of years I stood suffering under her abuse.

"Insolent girl!" she exclaimed after throwing down her wineglass. "Someone clean this up!"

Alfred, our butler who walked in after knocking, brought me a plate full of fruits. He left the plate on the coffee table in front of my long black velvet couch. "Here are some fresh fruits, Young Miss."

"Thank you, Alfred."

"Miss, forgive me for saying this. I do believe that you should resolve your issues with Madam."

I may have been too cruel today... She is the one who starts it though. I would rather appear to be an awful person and fight back than take all of the heat and stay quiet like an obedient child.

"Did she ask to reconcile?"

"She is your mother."

"She is 'just' my stepmother..."

"She is perhaps the closest person you have to being a mother."

"My only mother is dead, might I remind you."

Alfred stood stunned for a short while.

"To ask me to reconcile with a woman who will detest me regardless of what I say or do is just a waste of effort if you ask me," I replied coldly.