Chapter 5: Question and Answer

Elementary Days:

I had finished my homework from my elementary class. I sat idly thinking about something that bothered me the whole day. I had come across a problematic question that I could not figure out on my own.

Alfred knocked on my door and came in with some freshly baked cookies with a glass of milk. "I have brought some snacks for you... Is something the matter? You are just idly sitting there. I suppose daydreaming is also good to help you develop empathy as opposed not to according to newly found research."

"Empathy?"

"Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. It is crucial to have when dealing with other people in forming relationships."

"Wow! I will add this to my vocabulary. My teacher will be proud of me!" I said excitedly.

"I'm glad that I was of use to the Young Miss. Did you happen to get stuck on a homework question?"

"Not at all," I said as I took a cookie from the plate.

"Is something pestering you then?"

"I am fine. It is just that..."

"Just...?"

"There has been something bothering me for quite some time now. I was made fun of because I did not know what this one thing was."

"Made fun of? Should I contact your school?" he asked as he took out his cellphone frantically.

"Please don't... It was just the things that they said is bothering me."

"What kind of things did they say?"

"I was waiting for you to come to ask about this."

"If it is within my limitations, I would gladly help you with anything," he said with a slight bow.

"Could you tell me what a 'mom' is?"

He looked baffled for once. He soon crouched down and hugged me in his arms. Tears started streaming down the sides of his face. I did not completely understand what was going on at the time. I just knew that I was making him sad by asking him that particular question. After that day, I decided to never ask him that question again.

"I am so sorry that I asked... Please stop crying," I said as I petted his head softly. "I will not ask again."

After class the next day, I was asked to stay behind with my teacher. She was a very kind teacher and was willing to even play with her students even if she was busy. I look up to her as a role model. I was slightly excited to see why she asked me to stay behind today.

"What did you need me for, Teacher?"

"I wanted to talk to you for awhile, Cana. Am I bothering you?"

"Not at all..."

"I see... I have noticed that your parents have never come in during conferences. Is there a problem at home?"

"My father is always working."

"I see... What about your mother?"

"What is..."

"What did you say?"

"Will you also start crying if I ask you this?"

"It depends if it is a sad question... Please do tell me."

"What is a mother?"

My teacher's jaw dropped considerably. She had on a painful expression as she hugged me tightly. I vaguely knew that my question was hurting people around me. I knew, but I wanted to get an answer. It was like I was asking the forbidden.