Chapter 15: What Lies Beneath the Soil

When I woke up, I went and stood in my shower for quite some time before putting on a short black dress and wore a black blazer with white trims. I put on my black nylon stockings and grabbed a pair of black heels before I went out.

Alfred saw me off as usual, but had the same solemn look he gave me every year on this day.

"Have a nice day, Young Miss," he said as he handed me my black long cross body clutch bag.

"You too, Alfred. I'll be back soon."

I asked Alfred to refrain from coming with me some time ago when I was able to go to 'that' place by myself.

Without Alfred's car, I was forced to take the train as well as a bus to get to a few towns over and reach my destination. It was not much a hassle because around this time most people are at work or in school. After getting off, I walked down the streets of a nearly decrepit street. I saw a florist shop and decided to drop in.

"Excuse me... I'd like a bouquet."

"My! Of course. What do you have in mind?"

"White lilies."

I have heard from Alfred that they were 'Her' favorite flowers.

"Here," she said as she handed me a bouquet. "You are quite the beauty. Your boyfriend should be the one buying you flowers."

"I don't have a boyfriend. Haha..."

"What a shame! Would you consider my son then? He is quite handsome."

"Maybe another day," I said. "I have to deliver these flowers pretty soon."

"Oh... Make a left and go through the woods. It's a shortcut to where you want to go to. It was recently finished a month ago."

"I'm going to–"

"The cemetery, right? Anyone can tell from your clothes and atmosphere. I also remember seeing you last year around this time. I have a pretty good memory of the people around here. It's not such a large place like the bustling city where you meet strangers all of the time. If you don't mind me asking, who are you visiting today?"

"My mother," I said with a smile.

"...I see. You are quite young. I'm sorry for your loss."

"I'm fine. It's not like it was just recently. It's been a little over a decade and a half since she has been gone."

"She must be smiling from Heaven. Her daughter became a lovely lady! If you tell me ahead of time when you are coming over, I'll arrange a special bouquet just for you the next time you come here."

"Thank you," I said as I made my way out and moved towards a sweets shop a few stores over.

I followed the florist's suggestion and made my way towards the walkway. The new walkway consisted of a bunch of steps made from cement with wooden railings on the sides. It was not very steep and quite friendly for older people to walk on the gently sloping hill. The roadside that I had to take before was quite brutal with the sun beating down while walking a very steep slope.

When I finally reached the summit, I walked slowly towards my mother's grave. It was properly maintained by the attendant Alfred hired to clean the gravesite once every three months. I placed flowers on her grave along with a small box of sweets.