CHAPTER 9 - "I want a daddy."

"Belle..."

I spun around at the voice and my eyes met Ashton. He didn't look angry, which is what I expected. I was prying, I was shouting at Michael... I kind of deserved anger, but I was so desperate to know what on earth had happened to this girl.

Instead, he looked sad. Which I guess you'd also expect. He'd probably been friends with her before whatever happened happened.

"Sorry... I just..."

"Don't worry about it... Just... Luke's here now. And I really don't think you should be bringing it up. Not just yet, anyway."

"Why shouldn't I?" I folded my arms, I was more worried and afraid than angry, "If he's done something then – "

"Belle, please, I'll talk to you about it later, please don't say anything..." Ashton was almost begging me now, something he'd very rarely do, it didn't seem like it was in his nature.

"Fine." I muttered, just as Luke and Calum came into the room, laughing. The silence between Michael, Calum and me was uncomfortable.

"Hey, Belly!" Luke came over, bending to wrap his arms around me. Despite it being him that made me feel like this, his hug immediately calmed me.

"Where's my hug, Luke?" Michael called, causing Luke to release me and cuddle around his best friend instead.

I smiled a little at their embrace, before taking a seat on a dusty stool in the corner of the garage. Crossing my legs, I spoke up again, "Come on then, let's hear you." I smiled at Ashton who was giving me a thankful look. Something told me that this was an extremely raw topic when it came to the boys.

It had clearly caused fights between the group; I kind of regretted getting so angry without knowing everything. Luke wasn't a murderer, I didn't think. I was obviously misunderstanding.

I watched them perform, a smile glued on my face. They were incredible – I didn't understand how I'd never really heard Luke before I'd left. Ashton became a totally different person once the drumsticks were in his hands, the sweetness vanished almost entirely.

Once they were done, I gave a little cheer and Michael bowed, throwing his pick out to me.

"Caught it!" I laughed, "You guys deserve so much more recognition. You're gonna do so well."

Their faces lit up and I could tell how much this meant to them, for a little while I kind of forgot about all this stuff with Lucy.

"You want a drive home?" Luke asked, about an hour after their rehearsal had ended.

"Sure, you stole your mum's car again?" I raised my eyebrows, allowing him to hold my hand as he led me outside.

"Nah, I asked this time. I don't like taking it that often without her permission... She gets cranky."

"Unless she doesn't realise."

Luke nodded – "And she's home today, so I couldn't exactly just steal her car without her noticing." He laughed, hopping into the driver's seat and putting on his seatbelt, "You okay today, Belly? You barely looked at me in those performances... Is this about us sleeping together? I know we've not spoken about it, I didn't think you wanted to?"

I giggled, blushing because we'd kind of ignored the fact that that had happened, other than a few texts during the night about how he couldn't get his mind off it.

"No, Luke, I'm fine. That's really not it." He was too sweet sometimes, I didn't even want to broach the Lucy subject.

"As long as you're alright. That's all that matters." He smiled, drumming on the steering wheel as he drove towards our street.