Part 5.

I had just taken off my coat when Adam walked into the room where we would practice.

“Good morning, Ly!” he said cheerfully. I smiled at him when I said hello to him, too.

“So,” he started to ask. “Did you pick a song?” I nodded while I got my music sheets from my bag. “Yeah, I chose “The one that got away”, by Katy Perry.”

Adam raised his brow and looked at me for a moment. “Are you sure?” he asked. “I mean, that’s a great song, but it’s not easy at all…”

I nodded. “We’ll just have to work on it, then.”

Three hours later I was finally catching on. I knew it would be hard, but I didn’t want to disappoint Adam, and I really didn’t want to disappoint myself. I wanted to become a famous singer, I wanted to write my own songs and compose my own music. I wanted to express myself in every single way there was.

I wanted to strip the song down, just me singing and playing the acoustic guitar. Adam thought that was a good idea, but we also decided to leave the speed of the song the way it was, because I had already been doing ballads, and we had to show America that I could do more.

Although Adam had already given me many tips, and even some compliments, I didn’t seem to get the chorus right. The first notes seemed to be too high, and I didn’t think I would ever reach them. This was terrible, because the chorus was the part where I had to really do everything perfect because it was the only way to impress America.

Adam walked around the piano, which he had been playing on while I practiced singing. “Have you ever had singing lessons?” he asked while he moved closer to me. I shook my head. “No, this is the first time.”

He smiled. “Okay, I’m going to put my hand on your stomach. If you sing, I want to feel it moving while you sing. Breathe using your stomach, and not from your chest.”

Although Adam was probably right, and he certainly knew how to sing, I couldn’t concentrate anymore. He was standing so close to me, and his hand was on my belly, which made me nervous. I wish I had taken a diet before getting on The Voice. I sighed.

“Belly breathing, Ly.” Adam said. I could hear the smile in his voice. He probably thought I was hilarious since I was on one of the biggest singing competitions in the world, and couldn’t even sing.

“Okay, we’ll do it without music, since I’m standing here and can’t play the piano at the same time.” Adam said.

“Are you coming on stage with me also, to keep my stomach at the right place?” I was annoyed, but amused at the same time.

“No, Ly. That would probably be weird, since I have to pick between you and another contestant.” He chuckled while saying this.

“Now, please start singing, Ly.”

“Summer after high school, when we first met

we make out in your mustang to radio head

and on my 18th birthday we got matching tattoos.

Used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof

talk about our future like we had a clue

never planned that one day I'd be losing you”

Adam placed his free hand on my back, under my neck. He gently pulled my shoulders a bit backwards.

“But in another life

I would be your girl

we keep all our promises