✖ | chapter seven

BERTRAM WAS A generally laid back guy. he always seemed to go with the flow. so, to see him panicking was something that could unease any of them.

benny rodriguez's heart was racing as he tore down the stairs. bertram attempted to keep up, but he was simply no match for benny's speed. benny rounded towards the front of the timmons' household when he spotted the three boys sitting on the porch.

"...huh-?" he blurted in confusion, raising his arms above his head to regain his breath. tommy pulled his knees closer to his chest.

"...it's nothing. everyone's just making a big deal out of nothing." timmy spat, standing up.

"c'mon, tommy."

bertram stepped in front of the older of the two timmons brothers, crossing his arms over his chest. timmy stared up at him, challenging his gaze.

tommy and smalls remained seated, watching the scene in anticiplation.

"...what's goin' on?" benny interrupted, standing between the two. bertram shook his head, a frown tight on his face.

"...it's nothing, benny." timmy explained, tilting his head to the left. benny had noticed the boy always seemed to have a hard time keeping his head up. it constantly made him look like some sort of confused dog.

"...well, what took you so long?"

timmy's facade had yet to crack, and he rocked back on his heels, digging his hands deep into the pockets of his zip-up hoodie.

"well, our mom was about to leave for work. she wanted to tell us bye before she left."

benny looked to bertram, who stared back at him. bertram shook his head, before shoving his way past timmy. timmy stumbled back from the sudden shove, and shot the taller male a glare.

"c'mon, guys. let's go." bertram frowned, and tommy and smalls reluctantly stood up. benny motioned for Timmy to come along, and he quickly made his way past Bertram, walking far ahead of the other guys.

"what's up with him?" benny questioned, pulling bertram aside.

"i dunno, man. some weird shit's been going on, though. caught him trying to shut tommy up."

benny chuckled, but bertram's face remained completely serious. timmy was constantly trying to get tommy to stop mimicking him, what was so bad about this time?

"...no, benny. i mean, tommy was crying on timmy, and he was telling him to be quiet."

benny's smile faded. bertram shook his head, and began walking towards the treehouse once again.

"...i dunno what's going on, but i'm sure it's not good."