Chapter Seven

Many people had spoken to Lucy over the day, from police officers to agents from the government. The English had gotten better. Lucy still had the same answer for every question. Whoever was in charge of that one agency spoke to her, and when a higher agency showed up, they spoke to her. The information was never shared, upon the fear of the other agency not being good enough, or they didn't ask the right questions. It was a circle, and Lucy was used to it.

She leaned back in the couch, upon having been moved from the open area of police station to the upstairs, when she could speak alone to people. Also, several pictures had been taken of her, and the police officers grabbed the phone away and deleted it, ushering the people out. For now, Lucy stayed upstairs, sitting on a comfortable-enough couch. People came in and out, and she was given more food and drinks. They sat on the table in front of her.

The television hummed in the corner, with her name across the screen now and the country she was given to: Lucille Smith, America. Everyone wanted a picture now. everyone wanted to know who she was now, good and bad. She wasn't scared, but she would've rather had no face, which wasn't going to happen.

There was a knock on the door and her face turned toward it. "Ma'am." There was thick accent and then two people appeared. "May we come in?" asked the young male.

She nodded.

Both people came in, and she tensed, upon neither of them sharing who they were. There was first a young male who spoke English and then an older female who looked at her fiercely. Only did Lucy relax a slight bit was when both of them showed their badges and their names. The highest of the high came and sat down in front of her. The young male was the translator, she gathered, all directed by the female agent.

"Ma'am, we realize this must be a trying time," the translator started. A smile tugged on Lucy's lips and the translator stopped. "Ma'am?"

"No one died today. The only injury is to the gunman, which is being eaten up by the world. I'm not even injured. To me, today was not trying. Today wasn't even that bad. It could've been bad, but it wasn't."

The translator spoke to the agent, and then she responded back to him. He paused before speaking to me. "We understand, Ma'am, today could have been worse. But, ma'am, you think today was not bad. Why?"

Her teeth clenched. She knew by now she was also been looked into, especially by the high of the highest, and her past was known. However, she only sighed. "No one died today. It was a pretty good day. I know you've looked into me, and I know what you found. And if you haven't found everything yet, you will." She spoke slowly enough so that he could translate while they talked. "I didn't see anyone get shot today, and I wasn't shot today. Today was a good day."

The translator finished, and the agent spoke. The agent chose to stare into the eyes of Lucy, and she looked back, willing to challenge. The translator's eyes found her again. "How did you take the gunman?"

"I've learned to defend myself. I learned after... well, America has its own issues. So, I'm took him down with the same old, same old way. A few hits there, and a whole lot of confidence."

The agent now chose to whisper in the translator's ear instead of her language filling the space of the room. "Were you scared?"

"No."

"Do you ever get scared?"

"No."

"What if you had been shot?"

"I've been shot before, and hopefully this time wouldn't have killed me." Lucy leaned forward. "I guess we'll never find out." Her elbows rested on her knees as she waited for the next question.

The translator and the agent spoke for the longest time, speaking quickly. Whatever words Lucy could pick out from the language, she failed with how quickly they spoke. The agent's eyes would glance over to Lucy but always went back to the translator. The agent paused and said something to the translator, and the translator went for it.

"This might be a difficult question," he began.

"Say it anyway."

"Are you involved?"

"Did you just ask me if I was terrorist?"

"Are you?"

"No. Why would you think that?"

"You've been traveling around Europe alone for the last month or so, and people usually travel in groups, especially Americans."

"I am American," Lucy admitted. "And I travel by myself. I prefer it. I don't have a lot of people to travel with after the shooting. Most my friends are dead." She paused. "And I'm not scared to travel alone. The world isn't a scary place."

There was a pause, and then they spoke. The translator nodded and continued, "Where we you headed?"

"London."

"Why?"

"I was there a few years ago." If they were going through his history, they would find that. "I like it there. I've thought about moving there."

"And America?"

"You know my history. Unless America can find a way to have gun control, I don't want to be there."

The agent spoke in English, "So you are scared of something?"

Lucy laughed, because some part of her knew the agent spoke English. It wasn't even broken. "I'm not scared; I just don't prefer it."

"Do you know anyone in London?"

"One guy."

"What's his name?"

"Harry."

"What's his last name?"

Pausing, she considered it. He didn't have a last name, right? "I don't know." She wouldn't call him Windsor or Wales.

The agent judged, which was expected by Lucy."Do you love him?"

"I don't know."

"Are you going to London for him?"

"I'm going to London for myself. My life doesn't revolve around men, because I do not need a man to complete me." Lucy relaxed into the couch. "Is there anything else you would like to know? Whether personal life or for fun?" She knew she shouldn't have been snippy with them, but she was rather protective of Harry. He wasn't involved.

"The world knows who you are, ma'am. The American government called and is willing to take you back to the U.S. You should consider it. From what we know where you're from in the U.S., you would be safe there."

She shook her head. "The world is safe, enough. If you live in fear, you're not really living." Her eyes met the agent's. "I'm going to London."