Chapter Nineteen

Lucy was early, because if you weren't early, you were late. She was taught that when she was younger. She made it her job to be on time, and it also gave her time to survey the area. Because of this, she exited the Tube and walked to the restaurant. The address had been sent to Lucy earlier in the day. The restaurant looked normal enough on the outside, with no paparazzi outside. When she had traveled outside today, she was super concerned to find the media around her. No one was there for her, which was a good thing. Lucy still watched her back constantly.

It had been a while since Lucy had been a date. The last one had been Jake, over two years ago. But they had been dating for a while, and they were in the high school. There were no actual dates, because they didn't expect their relationship to last forever. When Lucy went to school, she saw Jake. They met up on the weekend. But there was no push to see each other, knowing it would just happen.

Was she supposed to show up early? Lucy had told Harry that she would come at this time, not wanting to be driven around. She wanted to live and feel, not just see. Lucy wasn't even sure what the reservation was under. Still, if you weren't early, you were late. She walked ahead.

Looking both ways before she crossed the street, she marched forward and came to stand in front of the restaurant. It had enough glow to it that it marked across the already dimming street of shadows. Of  course, it was late enough for it. Lucy, back in America, had ate around five or six at night, while here she ate around nine at night. This involved a difference of opinion, when she was much of a person to stay inside when it grew dark.

She entered and immediately stopped at the host desk, where she was asked for the reservation. Indeed, it wasn't a busy place and it wasn't a fancy place, but rather people talked quietly. There were no reservations needed if Lucy couldn't come up with the right code of whose name it was under.

"Name?" the host asked.

"Miss Smith," Lucy answered, not feeling the need to give a full name and then not feeling the need to have everyone look at her in recognition.

The host only acknowledged by nodding and the deciding that Lucy could join them that evening. "This way, Miss Smith." The host marched forward and Lucy followed. She was led to the back, away from most of the prying eyes of the companions of dinner, where it was either watch the whole crowd of the room or have her back to it. She chose the earlier choice and sat down to watch the room. The windows were far enough way that there was no clear picture able to be taken of her. The host handed Lucy a menu and she nodded thanks, to which the host disappeared. Lucy made herself comfortable at the table.

Lucy cursed herself for thinking it, but it did pop into her mind: she was still able to make a getaway. She was able to get up and leave. She could run away. It wasn't the thought of being here with Harry on a first date that scared her, but something worse. Again, she cursed herself for being scared, but who wouldn't be if people ran after you with cameras. It more occurred to her that she shouldn't have been scared, never scared, when annoyed was the right word to use. However, if she was caught with Prince Harry, cameras would follow her wherever she went. However much she cared about Harry, she didn't want those cameras in her life.

Shifting in her seat, she knew Harry would be here soon, so it was now or never with her decision. Granted, the cameras may not have even found her. Perhaps, Harry was able to accomplish the impossible. Lucy still thought about getting up and leaving. Undoubtedly, the host would bring Harry to this table and say that his lady-friend had been here, though she seemed to have disappeared.

She stopped. Her eyes traveled over to one couple of the restaurant, whom had glanced at her. This was her waiting for a first date. People glanced at other people while eating all the time. There was something different. Lucy grew tense. Her first thought in her mind was her safety, but that was pushed out immediately. She had a hard time realizing no one was coming to hurt her. She continued to watch the man for a second before bringing her eyes away. Her second thought in her mind was paparazzi; they had found her, but she could still save Harry from this mess. As her eyes glanced over again, she scrutinized the man a little more, taking in his features.

His eyes came to her, and she didn't know what her face held but he gulped harshly. He whispered to his companion, whom proceeded to glance back. Lucy was willing to take on both of them.

With a final thought, she knew they weren't paparazzi but they weren't regular out-to-dinner guests. These two worked for someone, and she guessed it was the monarchy. These were security guards for Harry, and they had been made. With all secrecy, they needed to be better trained, especially going against a girl whom had seen too much death.

With the security guards on her, whether she wanted to leave or not didn't seem like her choice anymore. She relaxed into her seat again. Maybe she should've taken a private date over something like this, where people could watch her. Maybe she wouldn't be so tense.

"Luce?"

Lucy glanced up and came face-to-face with Harry. "Hello." She smiled and stood. "How are you?"

"I'm well," he responded. Both of them went in for a hug. "How are you?" He kissed her on the cheek, and a burning sensation of left there as she blushed.

"I'm good."

They broke apart and sat down. The couple of security guards went back to their own business, but Lucy was focused on them.

"You know they're my bodyguards, don't you?" he asked.

"It took me less than a minute," she responded.

He laughed. This was going to be an interesting dinner.