Chapter 15

The last bits of sleep fell off her as she stretched herself back against the plush ground, her arms outstretching towards the sky, toes curling. She let out a yawn and wiggled her toes, feeling something tickle against her skin. Eyes peeling open, she pushed herself up to kneel. Her eyes widen significantly and her brow scrunched as she peaked at the lush green grass the sprouted from the earth where her feet had lied. Astonishment coursing through her, she turn her body as she felt the same sensitive sensation against the palms of her hands the pressed into the ground. She twisted her body and lifted her hands, seeing that the same green grass had touched her hands too, but not throughout the entire ground. It all was in the shape of her body, the curves of her fingers and toes. She sprang up, gazing down at the olive plants that surrounded her, outlined her sloping figure and limbs curled close to her body in sleep.

She stepped a few paces back, glancing down at where her feet came into contact with the ground, anticipating the grass to shoot out, but it never did. Her brow scrunched and she recalled when she had touched that dingy stream, and from her fingertips magyk had buzzed and shot out, purifying it. With such a beautiful gift, how could anyone accuse her of being malevolent?

Distantly, she could recall dreams of the same illustrious place, with impeccably beautiful faces swarming her. They had all been so warm and so light, so encouraging. She wondered how she could travel from that world to here, what could've possibly sent her here. But she felt her heart fill whenever she thought of the strange place of her dreams, the place that was her home. A place that felt like that to her, with such sweet beings, could not have intended to punish her, to abandon her.

"You did that?" Alias grumbled from behind her, his shock zapping her through their bond.

She turned to face him. She noted his current jagged hair, uneven and short. She hadn't had a chance yet to pay attention to such distinct details of him in the frenzy of the meeting hall, in the dark of the cave, or when Beast had attacked them. But she saw it quite keenly now as her fear had dissipated and a good night's rest had settled and satisfied her mind. She noted the dirt the smudged the side of his forehead and right cheek bone. His eyes were bright and shining despite their coal depths. He was aware, and to see him so vibrant caused relief to gush through her as she remembered him limp in her arms and bleeding.

"Yes. I've done something similar before, with a stream, but I'm not sure how. It's different than healing or like removing the venom from your body. I'm not sure how I did it."

"Try it, now," he urged, curiosity peaking.

She paused for a second, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth. She gave a curt nod. "But only if you let me fix your hair."

He frowned, hand running up to run through the uneven chunks. "What's wrong with my hair?"

"It looks like someone blindly took a pair of scissors to your head."

He huffed. "It was not scissors, but my blade."

She stifled a laugh. "That's much worse than I suspected. Allow me to fix it?"

"Surround me in a field of flowers first," he challenged.

"Easier said than done," she grumbled beneath her breath. She shut her eyes, drew in a deep breath and expelled it, flexed her arms and hands. She relaxed the muscles in her body, and tried to touch the magyk the swarmed inside of her. It was difficult to capture, so far out of her reach, but as her fingers skimmed it, she gasped as images hit her. A shining face of a woman, long ebony hair and glowing white eyes. She beamed, revealing sharply cut teeth that glowed, behind pulled back plump pink lips. She laughed, the sound reverberating in her eyes, twinkling.