Chapter 11

Elder Amit and Elder Edmund appeared at the door in the early hours of the morning, at the wake of dawn. Acacia still lay sleeping in her room, the soft flutter of her magyk echoing through the halls and reverberating its way through my body. Her energies had become a constant hum in the background, creating a sort of lull to my ears. He was distantly aware of her presence and state of being at every moment, as they had noticed the bond seeming to strengthen with time. I suspected her of coming to the same conclusion, but she never mentioned the bond. If anything she tried to ignore it and push it aside, seeming to believe that that would somehow make him feel better, make him forget, but it was always there, screeching for his attention. She was always there.

He suppressed the sigh that wanted to escape as he looked to their worn faces, wondering what they had done now or what they were to be subjected to. They had been going easier on them ever since Acacia had healed the sick and wounded. His skin had been itching for the moment when they changed their minds and their training went back to its rigid and excruciating course. It seemed that they had chosen to deliver now.

He leveled my eyes with theirs. "Can I be of service?"

Elder Amit appraised him, eyes radiating with approval. He reveled in the constant respect his position demanded and the leadership it granted. "Where is Acacia?" Not the girl, the creature, the outsider. She was addressed by her name, just as any other person in Community. Their growing approval of her too was not lost on him.

"She is not an early riser, nor an easy one. Would you like me to wake her?" He said.

Elder Edmund paused. "I will do it. Elder Amit can explain what will happen while I do."

A frown momentarily marred Alias' face. Elder Edmund's interest in Acacia was unsettling to say the least, and it caused something inside him to rumble. Who was she to deserve the favor of his elders? Who was she to surpass him?

"Yes, Elder Edmund."

It took him a moment to move aside to allow Elder Edmund through the doorway and he watched his form warily as he dipped down the hall and approached the room where the annoyance was lost in a deep slumber, strange dreams haunting her mind.

He looked to Elder Amit.

"We are going to test the limits of the bond, see how far we can stretch it before it becomes crippling, with yours and Acacia's consent of course, but I assume that won't be a problem." He shot Alias a pointed look.

"No, not at all."

He smiled wryly. "I thought so. If all goes well, we will find a gap, some way to weaken it. Perhaps even come to better understand Acacia's powers. They're the crux of the entire issue."

Alias' heart gave a dangerous lurch in his chest, melody jarring. "Where will we be traveling to perform the test?"

Elder Amit exhaled. "Outside of these walls," he said incensed. "We do not have a room book enough to contain the two of you to test the abilities. Furthermore, Edmund seemed to think that it would be best for the two of you to get some fresh air and state... He was concerned for your mental states."

Alias frowned. What had brought that on? Did they know of –

"Acacia mentioned that she was feeling claustrophobic. Knowing that stress and anxiety can take a toll on a person and in return cause their magyk to lash out irrationally, we thought it best to avoid that situation entirely." He droned on.

She had told Elder Edmund of that night, and a place deep inside him was horrified of the thought that she had confided in him of how he had aided her, of how he had saved her from her madness and held her under the mist of the shower. The night had happened over a week ago, but it was crystal in his memory. He could see her screaming and bloodying herself against the door, see the bruises starting to form on her skin and feel the blood smear on his chest as her hand gripped him. But most extraordinarily, he recollected when she had suddenly stood so closely behind him that his hum had shifted, and her hands had pressed against his back and her essence had invaded him for a moment, pulsing in him with such foreign warmth that felt so sweet he fought the urge to bolt.