Chapter 4

Staring down unseeingly at her empty plate, Lana broke the momentary silence with a question. "Papa, why are some people chopping down evergreen trees and decorating them? Why are they decorating them if they are going to be used for firewood?"

Pushing away his supper plate and scooting back his chair, Papa smiled lovingly at each of his children. "No, Lana, they're not for firewood. The lords who make the rules of all our properties are very lenient this time of year. The evergreens are used for decoration. Emma, would you please get

our Bible? Lana and Albert, come close to me."

Setting Lana on one knee and Albert on the other, Papa continued. "That's a good question, and an important one. Have all of you noticed the evergreen boughs with red paper strips and red berries decorating doors? Some who can spend more money bring an evergreen tree inside and decorate it with apples, red paper, berries, moss, and nuts. They may even make decorations to hang on the tree. Sometimes upside down evergreen tops are decorated and hung from the ceiling, or . . . a tree top will be set up in a corner like a miniature tree. Children, have you seen some pretty decorations?"

All nodded and Lana and Albert each excitedly raised their hands, wishing to be the first to share.

With twinkling eyes, Papa said, "Ladies first. Lana, what have you seen?"

Beaming and with head held high, Lana Mann announced, "I saw a tree with crocheted snowflakes hanging from it. It was beautiful!"

"I'll bet it was. Now it's Albert's turn. Go ahead, Albert."

"I saw one way more beautiful than the snowflake one! It had golden balls . . . maybe nuts set on its branches. The nuts were shining so bright that they looked like lights on the tree. I bet it's the most beautiful tree in the world!" Then Albert tossed his head toward Lana and proudly sat up taller than his sister.

Papa threw his head back and chuckled heartily. Everyone snickered, even Adalee, who knew not why.

Mama then informed, "Yes, Albert. Those were beautiful, golden nuts on the tree. They are called gilded nuts, because the outside shells are painted silver or gold."

"Now we should get on to the next question, Papa continued. "I'm sure you would ask, 'Why don't we even put up a little tree?' Our family must first find out what God thinks about it."

"Ernest," said Papa while handing him the Bible, "Would you please read Jeremiah 10, verses 1 through 5?"

Ernest read clearly, and as the prophet Jeremiah might have authoritatively spoken it:

"Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good."

"Children, Jeremiah had an important message from the Lord God. Jeremiah said, 'Hear ye,'

because he wanted the people to listen to him. Do you know what God meant by 'learn not the way of the heathen'?"