Chapter 8

"Papa, Franz told me. . . ," Albert began, busting the contented silence with his excitement.

"Albert, hold on. Start over and slowly tell me when and where."

"Yes, Papa," he sighed and paused, gathering his thoughts. Albert began again bubbling over with enthusiasm. "Today at Herrenberg's General Store, Franz Haus showed me the shop's new toys. Franz said his father can get him anything he wants in the whole world! I told him, 'So what? My father could . . .'"

Albert stopped as he noticed Papa's strained face and clenched jaw. Papa's eyes moistened and took on a faraway look as they mirrored the flames of the fire in the hearth. Mama and the girls raised their eyes from their sewing, Ernest looked up, and they all swung their gaze from Albert to Papa.

Still with unfocused eyes, Papa said, "Son, go get the Bible."

With slumped shoulders and bowed head, Albert rose and fetched the Bible. What did I do wrong?

"Heinrich", Mama pleaded and nodded toward Albert. "Albert, you didn't finish telling us what you told Franz about your papa."

With shoulders still slumped, Albert approached Mama and spoke hesitantly. "I told Franz that Papa could beat up his papa anytime . . . that is if Papa wanted to."

She said, "That doesn't sound like you, Albert! There must me more to your story. What did Franz say then?"

"Well, he made me mad when he went on and on about all the toys he had and what he was going to get for Christmas. Franz didn't say anything because you called me just then. It was time for us to go home."

Mama said, "You were angry. You should have stopped yourself and counted to ten, asked the Lord's help, and maybe quoted one of the Bible verses you know." She raised his chin to meet her eyes. "Albert, we all mess up. Without Jesus, your papa and I would have really messed up everything. Now let's hear what Papa has to say."

"Son, come sit here with me. What bothered me is that you called me your father. It is true that I am your father. But let's read what the Bible says in Matthew 23:9. Try to read with me. Follow my finger while I read slowly. 'And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.' You didn't know God doesn't want you to call your papa 'father.' Franz and many, many people don't know any better. We don't have to know why, but we must obey if we really love the Lord. The Lord God is jealous and doesn't want anybody else to use God's titles of respect.

The Catholics call their church leaders priests. . . and they are called Father . . ." Papa's jaw tightened and his eyes began their distant stare again.

"Papa, do you hate the Catholics?"

Startled, Papa jerked back to face his son. He let out a long, deep sigh and searched for the right words while stroking his beard. "No, I don't hate the Catholics. Without the Lord, it would be easy for me to hate them though. I was told as a boy stories of how the Catholics tortured and killed my uncles. My uncles loved the Lord and weren't afraid to show the people in the Bible why their church is wrong. I never got to know my uncles, because I was so little when they were killed. Someday I will tell you the stories of how my uncles and family friends died.

I don't hate the Catholics, especially not the people. Many of the people are doing all they know to obey God. The problem is the people trust their priests to tell them how to be good. They are told not to read the Bible that they wouldn't understand, but to learn from their church. They don't know what we do.