XI. Fun, Relaxed California Vacation

"So you have a private jet now?"

"And you have a sudden need to go to California. How convenient." He raised his eyebrows at me and handed me a glass of water.

"I'm sorry about all this." I sighed, gladly sipping my drink. "It was all set up to be such a good night too."

"It's no trouble. I mean, now we're just having an extended- well, I don't want to call this a date, considering the situation."

"Yeah. um, speaking of which. When we get there - and really, I'd be happy if you came - I don't know how...my mother is kind of an interesting person."

"Interesting how?"

"Well, just because I'm angry with her and I honestly can't think of a better word, she's kind of a bitch." Thomas nearly spit out his drink in shock, reaching for a napkin. I laughed a little at his expression, looking down at my hands. "She's very uptight and proper and doesn't care about her children at all, really. Except Kate, of course." I torqued my neck a bit and smirked, bitterness seeping into my voice. "Sorry, my sister has nothing to do with it. Anyway, my dad and I were always closer than my mother and I. I just wish she would've told me about him sooner."

"This must be really hard for you." Thomas sympathized, placing a hand on my shoulder and angling his body inwards.

"Well, it isn't easy." I answered, standing up. "Sorry, I'm just gonna change into something more appropriate. Where's the bathroom?"

He pointed it out and I grabbed my carry on from underneath my seat and walked into the bathroom. He was nice, really. I did like him, and the night was going pretty well until my mother called, even though he poured champagne all over my dress. I guess he made up for that with his private jet. This whole thing was ridiculous. Everything was moving way to fast with us. First date and we're already taking a weekend trip to California together. The first time we met was indecent as hell and I mean, he's my boss as soon as his uncle hands the hotel over. I buttoned up my blouse and wondered if this was even legal. I'm pretty sure I'd read something about work relationships. We don't want to be the first scandal in the history of the hotel. I made my way back out, finding Thomas gone. I sat near the window and looked out, seeing the gorgeous Washington mountains below. The pilot told us it was going to take roughly 5 hours from Port Angeles to LA, where we'd have to catch a car for another hour and a half to Loma Linda. I decided to settle down and try to sleep, considering that we'd get there at two. I curdled up with a blanket and drifted off.

~**~

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. "Yes, Mother, I know what time it is."

"Well I don't think it's very polite to call at this hour. I thought you had etiquette - you run a hotel for god sake."

"I'm only rude to you Mother, don't worry. Look, I just need to know if we should stay at the house or at a hotel?"

"Who is we?"

"Um, my uh...Thomas came with me." I mumbled, looking over at him awkwardly.

"Who is Thomas?"

"Look, can we just talk about this later? Can we stay there or not; I'm very tired."

"Fine." She snapped, immediately hanging up. I sighed and put my phone away, telling the cabbie the address.

"That didn't seem friendly." Thomas said, looking me up and down.

"Yeah well, that's my mother for you." I grouched, crossing my arms and forcibly leaning back into the seat. He realized I wasn't in a talking mood and appropriately shut up, which was rather good of him. We eventually pulled up to the mansion, my cabbie very much in awe, and I payed him and got out. "Welcome to my home." I grumbled, grabbing my bags and pushing the gate open. I can't say it wasn't an attractive place. It was all white, with expansive gardens and plenty of black and gold trimmings. Quite the house to grow up in. Thomas seemed impressed - I don't think he really grasped before how much money my family actually had. I rang the doorbell and the old butler opened the door. "Hey Graves."

"Miss Olivia, welcome home. You will stay in your old room, we have your friend set up in a room just down the hall."

"Thanks, we'll get there. You can go to bed."

"Are you sure?" He hesitated. I nodded, waving him off and I began the familiar trek up the stairs. I loved these stairs when I was younger. I always felt like a princess.

"Beautiful home." Thomas said, tracing the black detail on the railing with his fingers.

"Certainly not shabby, is it? I loved this place when I was younger. We have homes in New York, Georgia, and Michigan too. This was always my favorite though, which is good, because we didn't leave too often. I'm assuming this is your room." I pushed a door open to reveal a giant bedroom all done up with dark green decor. "There's a bathroom through there. My room's two doors down if you need anything." I said, turning around and making my way out.

"Hey, hold on. Are you...are you doing alright?"

I smiled tiredly at him. "I'll be okay. I just need some time to sleep and think it over."

He chewed on his lip, looking me over. "Alright. Just...I have a lot of experience if you need someone to talk to. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Thomas."

~**~

AN: Sorry for taking so long! I have a fairly successful multi-fandom imagines tumblr blog (literally only 5SOS right now because that's what people have been requesting and I'm super obsessed atm) and I've been focusing on that for the last six days of its existence. You should check it out sometime! It's called imagines-prefs-mf and I would love you forever if you followed it.
Anyways, comment, vote, follow :) Thanks for your patience everyone!