Twenty Nine

Luke's POV

It was late when the rest of the guys finally left to go home for the night and get a good nights rest in an actual bed. It took a lot of convincing and promises on Ells behalf but at long last they left, though not without some reluctance.

"Did they catch him?" Ellie croaked, her voice a slight bit stronger than when she had initially woken up this evening. I knew what she was asking, she wanted to know about the drunk driver.

I nodded quietly, "They arrested him at the scene apparently, he was way above the limit and driving tens of miles over the limit, it won't even need to go to court he was that intoxicated,"

She nodded clearly thankful the guy would be brought to justice, "Is it true if he hadn't had hit me he'd have hit the car behind me? The one that had a young mother in with her young baby?" She asked, her voice cracking at the same thought that had crossed my mind earlier too.

"Yeah it is, the psycho deserves to rot in hell for what he did and what he almost did," I spat, my anger at the psycho who almost took my girl from me and almost took out a young mother and her innocent baby, rising again.

"I'm glad it was me he hit instead of them, it sounds crazy but I'd sooner it was me than a young mum and her little baby," Ell nodded, as if in silent agreement with herself over the matter.

"As sweet as that is honey, I'd rather it was none of you, it should be him in this bed suffering for his own foolish actions," I sighed, my mind a whirling mass of confusion of things that have happened in the last twenty four hours but one thing was still clear.

I still have feelings for Ellie.

Ellie's POV

I knew that despite me being conscious, talking able to hold a conversation with my loved ones, I wasn't stable yet and I was still believe it or not borderline critical.

So however much it pained it me to admit it, I needed to be prepared for the worst, not only did I need to prepare myself for it but everyone else.

Especially Luke.

I'd accepted it the first time I woke up and Dr Kendrick had told me I was extremely lucky but it was touch and go, I knew there were slim chances of it being a happy ever after and it did take me a while but eventually I accepted it.

"Luke?" I whispered, my voice catching his attention, drawing him out from his daydream, "Promise me something?" I smiled over at him, his eyes fully focused on me and every word I was speaking, "Please?"

He was doubtful and silent but hesitantly nodded, "What is it babe?"

Babe. Oh Jesus not now Luke.

"Promise me that when you turn 18, you'll leave, that you'll get out of there and go for your dreams. That you won't let them dictate you or force you into a future you don't want, promise me you'll leave and be free," I mumbled drearily, the routine drugs slowly circulating my system causing slight drowsiness.

"I promise," he smiled.

"Good because I don't want you too be stuck there if I-"

Luke shook his head, "No you're not understanding me, I promise I'll get out but not without you. You leave, I leave. That's my deal, I can't do this without you Ell, I'll do nothing without you ok because if you leave me here, I won't survive it," he grabs my hand again as fresh tears roll down his cheeks much like my own.

"Please Luke, please for me just promise me," I beg, my grip on his hands tightening as he shakes his head faster and faster with each plead, "If I die you need to leave and get out of there Luke dammit please!"

"No Ell, no I'm not promising that because you're not gonna die! You're gonna stay strong and fight this Ell please cause I've still not finished my half of our deal, to show you what it's like to be loved! I want to do that still Ellie so fight please cause I refuse to let you leave me here!"