Thirty Six

"Wake up, Ellie, Ellie bellie wake up!" My eyes shot open and my body sat up straight in the passenger seat of an all to familiar car I hadn't sat in or even seen in almost two years.

I turned my face to observe the person sat in the drivers seat, my eyes widening and my breath catching in my throat once I saw my big brother. I saw Lucas.

"Lucas?" I whispered, tears gathering in my eyes as I saw the familiar features and expressions that my brother had always adorned. I saw Lucas as the 21 year old he was two years ago.

"You've been out for twenty minutes, tired of their errands are you?" He chuckled, turning to face me for a fleeting second before focusing back on the road in to town.

"Huh?" I blinked, trying to process what he was saying and focus on what he'd asked me.

"We're heading to collect mums order, remember?" The frowned, clearly amused by my momentary confusion.

"What are you talking about?" I scrunched my eyebrows together, still trying to figure out what was going on and why I was here seeing my dead brother in a car I hadn't seen since he died?

"You got amnesia or something? The order?? For mums photos, she asked us to go collect them? From the shop... ringing any bells?" He began listing off facts, trying to jog my memory and it was, it was jogging my memory of the accident.

"What? Where's Luke?" my immediate response was to find out where the boy I had woken up this morning with, in an entire different city, was now.

"Who the hell is Luke? He your boyfriend from
Samworth High or something?" Lucas's expression changed to one of protection for his baby sister but I was more shocked by his words, Samworth? I haven't been to there in almost two years!

My mind began running different scenarios of what the fuck was happening, "Lu what's the date? How old am I?"

"It's August twentieth and you're sixteen? What's wrong with you? Should I call dad or something?" Lucas looked mortified as I spoke even more, babbling on and on about how this wasn't real, it had to be a dream.

Sixteen. I'm still sixteen. Lucas. He isn't even dead. It was all a dream, none of it happened. Luke's not here.

Luke's not even real.

We're still sixteen and twenty one, Lucas is still alive and we're going to pick up mums order. This is the reality. Mums order is the current reality. The order! THAT order.

"Turn this car around Lu," I whispered quietly, suddenly recalling the date he had told me and the current errand we were on. He asked me why and began asking if I should call dad when I screamed, "TURN IT AROUND AND GO HOME RIGHT NOW LUCAS OR I SWEAR TO GOD!"

"Ok ok, calm down it's okay, breathe with me," he began reciting the all to familiar routine he always did when I had a heart panic attack, not realising why it was happening but doing it none the less.

This can't be real. This is the dream, I need to wake up. This has to be the dream because I can't re-live this all over again.

So why did this feel so real, more real than anything I thought had happened in the past two years?