Chapter 4

As Ivysplash followed Reedstone, Dawnpetal, and Splashstripe out of camp, she wondered about the prophecy. She wondered how she could find the other three cats. She wondered how they would react to the prophecy. And she wondered which one of them would not return from the journey.

As they neared the RiverClan border, Reedstone hissed suddenly, "ShadowClan! They're stealing our prey!" In front of the bushes where the four patrolling cats crouched, three ShadowClan cats were eating a starling.

"Dawnpetal and Reedstone, go around them and hide on the other side of the clearing while Ivysplash and Ihide here." Splashstripe flicked his ears at the two cats. "On my signal, leap forward and attack from the back. We'll have them surrounded."

When Reedstone and Dawnpetal had silently crept around the ShadowClan cats and were crouching behind them, Splashstripe flicked his tail. Reedstone and Dawnpetal jumped forward, screeching. The ShadowClan cats turned to run but Splashstripe and Ivysplash stopped them from the other side. After several wounds had been inflicted upon the trespassing cats, they fled across the small Thunderpath and back across their border.

"Good work, everyone," congratulated Splashstripe. "Let's finish the patrol and get back to camp."

As the patrol padded through the reed tunnel, Dawnpetal came to meet Ivysplash. "Good work," Dawnpetal mewed. "Now let's go rest before the Gathering."