Chapter 18

Ivysplash, Amberstar, and Snowtail padded through the entrance to the ShadowClan camp and rushed straight for the leader's den.  They peered through the bramble tendrils that hung over the entrance of the den.  Redclaw and Snakefang were circling Briarstar threateningly.  Often they lashed out at him, their relentless claws leaving gashes in the old leader's flank.

Ivysplash burst through the brambles and leaped at Snakefang before she had a chance to think.  Snakefang was so surprised that he squealed, making Ivysplash dig her claws deeper into his neck.  When she had the dark tom pinned on his back, she looked at Briarstar.  The old leader was in a fierce struggle with Redclaw.

Snakefang suddenly lashed out with his back claws, catching Ivysplash's chin and sending her sprawling.  Blood welled in her throat and clouded her vision as Snakefang backed toward the entrance of the den to escape.  Instead he backed right into Snowtail, who tried to slash her claws across his flank.  Instead the dark tom wriggled free of Snowtail's grasp and dashed out of the den.  Redclaw followed closely behind, only pausing to hiss viciously at Amberstar before disappearing from view.  Brambles rustled as the two toms pushed their way out of the camp entrance.

Snowtail grimaced at Ivysplash, who in turn, glanced at Briarstar.  The ShadowClan leader lay motionless on the cold floor.

Ivysplash mewed cautiously, "Briarstar, are you all right?"

No answer.

She tried again.  "Briarstar, are you okay?"

Silence.

She padded up to the dark brown tom bent over him.  An all-too-familiar scent hit the roof of her mouth.  It was the smell of death.