Chapter 2

Ivysplash burst out of the reed tunnel in a flood of grief. The forest swam before her. She stopped abruptly and sat down, her mind numb. Two questions stood out in her mind: who killed Willowstorm and why? Ivysplash began to think. Willowstorm was so gentle that she had no enemies...she only left the camp to go hunting twice a moon...but no other Clans could have attacked the RiverClan camp that quickly...

Ivysplash pushed her next thought away. A RiverClan cat simply would not have killed Willowstorm.

Suddenly a cat erupted from of the thin undergrowth. Ivysplash jumped clean out of her fur. Her emotions of despair and grief disappeared, replaced by surprise and concern. Then Ivysplash recognized the tom as Birchstream, a young RiverClan warrior.

"You-you need-" The mottled brown tabby struggled to catch his breath. "What is it, Birchstream?" Ivysplash pressed. "You need to come t-to the camp at once," he spluttered. "Amberstar h-has called a Clan meeting. She says it's urgent."

Ivysplash followed the Birchstream back through the forest and across the stream to the RiverClan camp. They rushed through the camp entrance just in time. Amberstar was perched on Highledge as cats accumulated beneath her.

When every cat in RiverClan had stepped outside his or her den, Amberstar began curtly, her voice laced with anxiety. "Greetings, everyone. I have called this meeting because StarClan has spoken with Stonestream last night. I will let him to tell you what he knows."

The RiverClan leader stepped back and Stonestream took her place. "StarClan spoke with me last night," he began. "They have sent us a clear message. A prophecy."

A few cats gasped and apprehensive murmuring broke out. Amberstar waved her tail for silence. When Stonestream began speaking again, many voices seemed to sound together. "'Lion, Tiger, Ivy, and Raven will unite on a journey to the gates of StarClan to save the night. They will return with four, although not all will return alive.'" He broke off coughing as he finished. Amberstar stepped forward with a worried glance at the old medicine cat. The gray tom had served her for countless seasons and he was about to retire to become an elder.

Amberstar cleared her throat. "Does any cat have an idea of who Lion, Tiger, Ivy, and Raven are?"

Ivysplash felt a lump in her throat. She had a sneaking suspicion, but didn't raise her voice.

"No one?" The sleek golden she-cat on Highledge looked disappointed, but ended the meeting anyway. She turned and padded back to her den and Stonestream stepped in after her. Soft murmurs emanated from the thin lichen.

Snowtail padded up to Ivysplash. "It's getting late. You should get some sleep."

Ivysplash paced toward the warriors' den, head spinning. She lay down on the soft moss and the warm haven of sleep took her before she could worry any more.