Chapter 17

Ivysplash raced through the trees, blood pounding in her ears.  Suddenly a thought crossed her mind.  What if Redclaw is already in the camp, or worse, he's left the camp already?  She stopped as the ShadowClan barrier spread out in front of her, partially hidden in shadow.  She padded into the eerily quiet ShadowClan camp, careful to stay to the shadows.  How strange, thought Ivysplash.  All the warriors seem to have gone to battle.  Only the elders and queens are here.

When she reached Briarstar's den, the only sound she heard from within was the sleeping ShadowClan leader's raspy breathing.  As quickly as she could, Ivysplash hurried out of the camp.  Leaves crackled quietly as she lay down to wait outside the camp.

A little while later, Ravenfrost padded out of the bushes, panting slightly.  "I tried to return Foxkit, but there were only the queens and elders in the camp.  I gave him directly to Echodawn and left before the warriors could return."  Ivysplash flicked her tail in acknowledgement.  Well done.  But that's odd that only the WindClan queens and elders are in the camp.  ShadowClan was the same way when I checked on Briarstar."

Ravenfrost gave only a small nod in reply, as though he were deep in thought.

Tigerpelt and Lionstorm slipped through the bracken, followed closely by Snowtail and Amberstar.  Tigerpelt mewed desolately, "Firetail didn't make it across the river.  He hunts with StarClan now."

Lionstorm bowed his head in quiet respect.  Ivysplash gazed miserably at her paws.  She glanced up to find Ravenfrost looking at her with sorrow in his blue eyes.  "I'm sorry."

Ivysplash dipped her head to him.

Snowtail meowed, "I'm sure there's an explanation behind this, Ivysplash, but we must keep going if we want to save Briarstar."

Ivysplash glanced at Tigerpelt in surprise, who meowed, "I told her about Redclaw."

Ivysplash nodded and said, "We're running out of time.  You three--" she motioned to Tigerpelt, Lionstorm, and Ravenfrost "--go back to RiverClan and try to stop the fight."  She saw the hesitation in their eyes and meowed, "Tell them about Redclaw's and Snakefang's plan to kill Briarstar.  Tell them it's not worth fighting over kits when there are traitors in the Clans."

Tigerpelt dipped her head in acknowledgement.  "Very well, Ivysplash.  Good luck with Redclaw."  She followed the two toms into the forest and was gone.