28. Daddy Issues

Happy Saturday!

Enjoy the chapter guys(:

Dominic's POV

She slapped me.

She actually slapped me.

Never in my life have I ever met a woman more infuriating.

But I need her, I miss her, I crave her, I thought to myself as I looked over to my ringing phone. It was my father. Again. For a second, I contemplated answering the damned thing. Just to get him off my back. But it was just a blatant reminder that my life wasn't what I thought it was. My cancer ridden mother was a cheater and a liar.

"What the hell do you want?" I answered with a loud yawn, taking another swig of my beer and occasionally watching Lebron dunking.

"Son, how are you doing? I can't believe you actually answered. I've been trying to get ahold of you for weeks-"

"I noticed." I stated dryly. "Listen Dad, I'm not in the mood to hear more bullshit, so if that's all you needed then I can go." I rolled my eyes. Why did I think this would have any up side?

"No! No- don't go. I want to talk to you in person, son. Can you meet me at your girlfriend's cafe in about twenty minutes?" I sighed, more pain entering my heart as he mentioned Olivia. It hurt, definitely more than I ever thought was possible.

"She's not... um.. we're done." I spoke curtly, cracking a bit at the end.

"What?" He gasped. Of course he was surprised. Why wouldn't he be? She's the absolute love of my life. Everyone thought we'd make it.

"Yeah, uh we can meet at The Grill in twenty." I conceded, trying to avert the conversation.

"Son, what happened?" He questioned, but what right did he have? He hated Olivia and anything that had the word 'Evans' in it.

"Why do you care? I'm sure you're smiling with relief right now. Don't make me think this isn't the best news of your life. I couldn't be what she needed. I couldn't have her father hate her anymore. She needs a family and friends. I couldn't have her subjected to you and your hateful spats, father. I can't and won't. I love her too much. I'm not good enough for her, and I'm done trying to be." I shrugged, downing the last of my beer and asking a sad Evelyn for another.

"Dominic, we need to talk in person. I will be at the restaurant in twenty minutes." The phone went dead and I laughed bitterly.

"When did my life start to revolve around a woman, of all things?" I asked out loud, no doubt Evie heard.

"The moment you fell in love." She said back, with a small smile. There was a sadness that crept up to her orbs.

"Evie don't be upset. Sometimes couples don't work, it's life. You move on," I lied easily but she just shook her head, disapproving of my statement. "I'll be fine, I promise. Can you get my blazer, please? I'm meeting up with my father." I stood up, grabbing my keys off the table.

"No sir, you've been drinking. I'll call your driver, he can be here in five minutes." I let out a frustrated groan, but nodded. I only had a few beers, it wasn't like I was drunk.

I sat back down, a growing headache starting the creep up. "I miss her." I whispered, my voice actually cracking.

Evelyn stood me up, putting my blazer on and looking up to my eyes. She gently grabbed my cheeks. "I know you do, sweetie. If you truly thought that she's better off without you, then you wouldn't be this miserable," I pulled her in for a hug, a tang of pain shooting through my heart. This was fucking torture.